Does anything justify suicide?

Someone asked me years ago if I believed that someone who committed suicide would go to hell.She went on to say a sin is a sin. Right? Then she said if you have an argument with your mother then die in an automobile accident before you ask for forgiveness you have died with a sin unforgiven. What is the difference? What do you think?

KISS1224

Asked by KISS1224 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I don't believe in Sin, nor do I believe in Hell. I believe suicide is in many ways not a bad thing. It's hard for those who are left behind. But for me, if someone's life is so bad that they choose to end it, that should be their choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I believe suicide is a sin, but I don't believe it condemns you to Hell. Yes, a sin is a sin, but all can be forgiven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, then they would go to hell, but that's the same if that person died in a car accident. If a saved person sins and then dies, they are still going to heaven. Once a person comes to Christ, their sins have been taken away. That doesn't mean they will stop sinning, but that when they do sin they will be forgiven.

This is what I believe to be true. No one jump down my throat because you don't believe the same.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Honestly I don't ever think someone is in heaven or hell because its not my place to judge.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Justified? I don't know. People that commit suicide are without any hope and are obviously in despair. They're also not often in their right mind. I just don't know. As much as I say I'd never, ever commit suicide, there are instances in which I think I'd want to. For example, if I ever lost my son, I don't think I could live with the torture of that. Therefore, it's not really my place to judge anyone. As for Hell, I don't know that I believe in Hell. I don't think that I do. I do believe in a loving God, and it's hard to imagine the God I believe in banishing someone to Hell because they were in so much pain.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If your sin nature has been forgiven, then no matter what sins you commit afterward, you will still go to Heaven. Doesn't matter what you do.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 5:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I can't say if it is justified or not. My husband OD'd last year right in front of me and the onlyl thing I could think of was dialing 911. I didn't have time to think if it was justified or not. I felt like it was my fault, yes. It was my fault. He needed me and i wasn't there for him. So maybe it was justified, but I couldn't let him take his life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't believe in hell, so that part is out of the equation. I can understand/empathize why people commit suicide, though, and feel that we can't judge the actions of others when we haven't lived through their pain. I also fully support Dr. assisted suicide - or death with dignity as it is better called.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm seeing two totally different questions here. First does anything justify suicide? Justify? Do you mean is there any reason where everyone would say "oh, yeah, you should totally kill yourself because of X"? No and yes. The thing is, none of us are in that person's head, we don't know what they are feeling and can only put our own spin on why we feel they did it. My uncle killed himself when he was 16, the things he talked about in his note, the reasons he gave, I feel could have been resolved with time. But in reality, he probably had deeper issues, maybe some mental health issues, and the things he mentioned were just the outward manifestations of those other issues.

However, I haven't walked in his shoes, I can't know how he really was feeling, what thoughts were going through his head, so I can't judge if he was justified in taking his own life.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Suicide is sin because it is the murder of oneself. As for it being forgivable? .... It is not listed in the Bible as the unforgivable sin, so presumably it is forgivable. However, with that said, the only sins that are forgiven are those who are justified in Christ. If one is not in Christ, then they are held accountable for all of their sins - including suicide.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Secondly the sin aspect. Different religions have different beliefs on this. Some believe that there are degrees of sin, some send you to hell, some to purgatory for a while. Some believe that you have to confess and atone for each and every sin or possibly be damned or sent to purgatory, some that once you've "joined up" (for lack of a better term) all sins, past and future have been forgiven - so no hell or purgatory.

My personal belief is that there is a higher power, and that He/She/They recognises that rather than being beyond Their help, the person who commits suicide is most in need of Their help and gives it freely.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010