Torn. I live two hours away from family...

And sometimes it's rough to get someone to watch my kids when I need it. Like right now. My DH is in the hospital right now and he might have surgery and I really need to be with him, but I can't because I have no one to watch my kids. I asked my mom if she could come watch them and she says it's too far. Then she says I need to move closer if I want help. I don't want to move closer. I like where we live right now, it jsut sucks that I don't know that many people to help me watch the kids when I need it. What do I do?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 5:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• We didn't have family close to us when our children were growing up, but we had church family who were always willing to help in time of emergency. If you need a reputable sitter, you could call the local churches and tell them of your plight. It would be a good way to find help that would be trustworthy. You could even ask for some of us grandmotherly types.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• 2 hrs isnt really that far. i live 2 and half hours from my grand parents and i usually drive atleast once a month or every other month to visit with them so my son can have a weekend..and we always go on holidays
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• So do I shay! I drive there every damn month even when we can't afford it and I just LOOOOOVE how she and everyone else who is supposedly family, bitches about the drive. I love it! It's such total and utter bullshit!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's rough not having family near when you need them. I had no one to help me when my kids were growing up. I live states away from everybody. I had a wonderful neighbor who stepped up and helped me when I had a seizure when I had a newborn and 3 yr. old and I couldn't drive for 6 mos. She was a godsend. Good luck to your husband. Keep the faith. Things will work out.
    sanibelblueyezz

Answer by sanibelblueyezz at 5:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• that was kinda mean of her to say, I'm sorry mama(hugs). But if she is willing, you could say "ok its too far for you to drive so I will bring them there for a few days until his surgery and after..." see what she says. best of luck and hang in there. i have no one around me to help. my fam is scattered all over the country and my inlaws are ..well nuts lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• that is pretty crappy they arent willing to drive with your dh having surgery. can they meet half way?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• meet halfway or take the kids to her
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't have any money even to meet her halfway. Besides, she offered to help me with the kids if I needed it. Being that I have a newborn now. And it pisses me off that she's backing out on her word. SHE DOES THIS EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I NEED HER! It pisses me off!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Go to the hospital's public relations office, community services office, or equivalent and ask if they have any resources that you can take advantage of. it's worth a try.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my mom moved across the country when my dd was six weeks old. if you have any friends that you trust to care for your child or to recommend a sitter, there's that. i made friends with other mommies that were lifesavers - that's not why i made the friends, but i'm sooo glad i did. it's hard not to worry about crazies, but try to maybe interview some people who have had infant care certificates (look for churches, rec center classes, etc. for references), etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010