Do you teach your children to be critical of advertising?

If so, what age did you start talking about it and what do you say/do?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 5:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I taught my kids at an early age not to believe everything they see/hear. Kids (&even some adults) can be so naive.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not sure if the term should be "critical" or "more aware" but either way, I teach my children that TV commercials glorify a lot of toys, and other products, sometimes to the extremes. I bought them moon sand, which have fantastic TV commercials, but they got bored after a day. The colors melded together, and even though we sealed the container it still dried out. We've experimented with a few other things, and sometimes if the kids see a kitchen gadget advertised, they'll ask me if I want it, and I say no, it's probably not what it's cracked up to be.

So I teach my kids to be aware of marketing ploys, and do let them try out some toys that I know they will not like, to reinforce what DH & I are teaching them. I think we started explaining the false glorification when they were pre-school age.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• LOL...I didn't have to. My child is not your average kid. He told me about things in commercials that were not correct. And he was like 2 or maybe even a little younger. He was a quirky kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, most definitely. They understand that you have to be a skeptic when it comes to advertising; my daughter will sometimes talk back to the TV with a sarcastic "yeah, right" when some claim on some product is made.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2010