ALphabet

My daughter is 2 1/2, and i want to put her in head start next year, but she isn't grasping the alphabet, so i'm thinking she may be a visual learner, does anyone know a good sight to get printable stuff from? With numbers too?

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh and as far as printables, try i BELIEVE its dlkids.com it might be dltkids.com fool around with it on google it will pop up!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• NO...but i use index card for my son and it work...i would fuss to much over it...once she starts school the teachers are educated on how to help kids learn fast...we as parents get fustrated tooo fast....or even try buying her fun games that taches abc..123...GOOD LUCK
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 5:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Index cards, Starfall.com, try sign language if she's a visual learner, its never to early to teach em a different language and learning the signs for the letters at the same time she's learning the letters is awesome! at 2.5 she's still young to get the whole Alphabet but if she recognizes letters and knows that they have sounds and names and make words then you're doing great. just keep up the reading and showing her letters and sounds and she'll get it before you know it and be ready for head start :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I was thinking alphabets with animals so she can associate it, she'd love that.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I definitely would hit YouTube girl, my son loves the Between the Lions videos they have, just google, letter sounds, or alphabet, and you will find a ton of things on there, trust me.

A game I made up and played with my boys to teach them was so fun and cute :)

I put the flash cards down on the floor in a circle (they walked around them)and played music, when the music stopped they had to tell me the letter of it and the sound it made
    Go to Youtube and search *who let the letters out*, this is an alphabet sound song, they have tons of videos for your child to watch as well
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's old, but there is a program called the Self Pronouncing Alphabet (S.P.A.) which is great for associating letters with animals that have the same sounds (even long and short vowels). I learned with this program when I was a child (back in the dark ages). http://stores.beaconspa.com

barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 6:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I should add that I'm not generally a fan of flash cards or drilling in any way. I think that the more pressure you put on a child, the more they resist and end up with bad associations. Whatever you do, read aloud all the time, find books with an alphabet premise (like Jerry Pallotta's books), sing the alphabet song, get those plastic alphabet links or some other tactile toy, and just have fun.

Most kids learn quickly when they are ready, provided they haven't been pushed too hard.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 6:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter learned from Brainy Baby videos and refigerator magnets.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• go to the dollar tree. i have 3 posters (2 alphabet and 1 number) with each letter and an animal that goes with it on one, and other things on the other. the number one has different animals for each number. i got all 3 posters for $2!!!! and they are awesome i think :). i also got a border that has the alphabet with different things for each letter. its pretty cool but i have yet to put it up, also from the dollar tree. they are actually in the teachers aisle for back to school stuff so i dont know how much longer they will be there.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's not printable, but my 21 month old has learned the alphabet mainly from our Leapfrog fridge phonics. It's like $15-20 at Target - they can see the letters, hear the letter "name" and the sound that it makes.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010