only child vs multiples....let's take a poll- im curious to see who agrees & disagrees!!!

im the proud mommy of a 3mo little girl & to be completely honest, my husband & i are 100% content w/just her! on the other hand, lots of my friends & my mom is CONSTANTLY telling me "u have to give dakota a sibling so she will have someone to play with" here's the thing: out of my circle of friends, i have the youngest kid so she is always gonna be around lots of friends... does that make me a bad mommy 4 not wanting anymore kids!! so i want to know what everyone's take is on this topic: you can be honest, i wont get offended!!

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had three and wish we had six.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No. As long as you don't deprive her of things and she has an active social life, I see nothing wrong with it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I dont think it makes you a bad mommy. But one thing stuck out in this post. Your dd is 3 months old. Chances are, one of these days you will want to have another one. Maybe not, but still she is only 3 months old.

The other thing I have noticed is that I see a LOT of singles who wish they had a sibling as an adult. I am sure not everyone wishes that, but I have noticed on here that a good bit do.

I cant imagine just having one :) If you have one good one, dont you want to see what the next good one will be like :) LOL I am on my third b/c I wanted my two to have yet another sibling to grow up with and have adult families with :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• she's only 3months old and your family is already harrassing u to have another?! dang, at least mine usually waited a year or two :P lol We have 3 and are done having kids. if it was practical and affordable i think we would've had like 6 too :P You're not a BAD mom for thinking that an only child is nice but give it a few months/years before u rule out the idea of a sibling for her ;-)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i want more kids but i would never want them close in age..as long as one was out of diapers and wiping their own ass i would be cool
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think its better to be an only child and to have an only child,so I vote for having one child,which I only have one now and Im fine with keeping it that way
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No it doesn't make you bad. I personally wanted a bigger family, and I love seeing my 2 boys play together, and loving on eachother, I think it's a gift to the child. A lifelong friend/companion- even if they hate eachother for a number of those tough years, pretty soon you and dh will be gone and who will she have? I like the idea of have 4 kids, 2 of each sex (like I could pick of course, lol) but I would love that, to give each child a same-sex sibling, would be so wonderful. (for my family) You do what your heart leads you to do.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 5:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's no one's business but YOURS and YOUR HUSBAND's how many kids you have. You can always counter those statements with, "How many blow jobs a week do you give your husband?" The subject is THAT personal... no one has any input but YOU and HIM.

The ONLY bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

We wanted two originally. Fate dictated one. And we WOULD NOT have it ANY other way now.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We have 5 almost 6 and that is what is right for us. However my friend only has one and that is what is right for her. It's completely up to you. I don't think children 'miss out' or are 'deprived' of anything through not having siblings. They don't need them and you can always turn the argument around and say they don't get as much attention, I don't think either is necessarily true. If you want one then you go for one momma! Don't listen to people that say any different.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• For the first 2 1/2 years of our son's life, we only wanted one and I got so sick of people coming up and asking me if we wanted more. We were happy with him, and we still are. Getting closer to age 3, I started toying around with the idea of having another, wasn't really sure, but it was something I had to come to terms with on my own. Now he's 3 1/2 and I would like to have another (not trying until next year however). But again, I had to get to that point on my own, without being badgered by people telling me I should.

But if he is the only one we have, I will be happy too.

And no, it doesn't make you bad. If one is all you want, that's fine. I'm sure there are lots of happy only children out there. I'm sure my son would be a happy only child (more to spoil him with, LOL).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010