attachment issues

I play toys and such with my 3 year old all the time. I involve him in stuff all the time-cooking, cleaning, laundry. I'm trying to get him to play more by himself just because he needs to. Anyone have this problem with the little one just having to do everything with you 24/7. The kid totally gets enough attention. I just get upset sometimes because I want to take a half hour break and he yells at me or says "but your my best friend and I want to play with you!" I mean I'm glad he loves me and my company, but I need my space too! He does go to a sitter for 5 hours 1-2 week for this reason, but he is still soooo clingy!!! Any advice?

cattiesmom78

Asked by cattiesmom78 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he is using the "you are my bestie" because he knows you give in. does he color? thats a good on your own activity. I fear this because I play with my 16 month old alot too, and its because i feel like he is lonely. but i think we are not helping them by making sure they are entertained 24/7, and i know i sure am not heklping myself. when my lil one gets over clingy i will take him and remove him from me, over to a new activity. now your son? he can speak so it should be a little easier to begin explaining personal time/private time/space,kwim? you could respond"you are my best friend too but right now mom has some things she needs to do(even if its shut your eyes for 5 mins and meditate). keep repeating that, and ride out the badgering.good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• or hey, go hide in a closet and say its a game lol...my friend would play hide and seek with her lil one and say "ok hide I am counting to 20" then it took her a long time to get to 20.lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Try to enjoy this time in his life. Trust me it will not last forever!
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my 5 year old is the same way if it's just me and her shehas to be touching me at all times if her daddy is home she'll play with my 2 yr old or in her room but if my dh is not here she has to be either touching me or up under me at all times I'm not sure what to do I was so happy when she went to pre k and now kindergarden starts monday school and work are my breaks I just started my job 2 weeks ago and I'm like omg they pay me to leave my kids with mom and be a grown up for a few hours a day I love my job lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2010