Potty Training... help!

My son is 26 months old. He knows how to use the regular toilet if I stand him on my knees to pee. Usually we do this before/after bath. He has done it for 3 months now. However, I see it becoming a battle if I try to stop his activity to take him to the toilet every 30 minutes. I want to start potty-training, since it seems as if he is ready... but I'm at loss where to start and how to stick with it! I'm horrible with consistency at times. Should I use pull-ups? How do I train him to have BM on the toilet. He runs and hides when he has to do BM and wants to be left alone, so he's aware. He's the type of kid that's always on the go and hates to sit even for 2 seconds. I don't want to turn this into a battle. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 5:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, first why is he on your knees to pee?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Hahaha. I usually get on the floor and stand him on my knee when he faces the toilet so he can pee in the toilet. He's too short to do otherwise. He won't sit on the potty and pee. I need to get a stepping stool. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Comment by ShadesofGrey (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If he is going to use to big boy potty, you need to buy him an over the potty toilet seat, the brand I used was saftety first, i bought it at Babies R Us and it was about 6-8 dollars.

My boys would sit down on it and hold on to the handles and pee and poop in it.

You HAVE to be consistent with this potty training or HE wont be.

It can be a challenge but hey, it all comes with parenting!!

Yes you can put him in Pullups, is he using a diaper now? Dont try to potty train and use a diaper because it confuses them, a diaper says, Im not a big boy thats why I poop on myself, a pullup says, i need to get this going because im out of diapers now, Im a big boy!!

Reward him with stickers, hugs, kisses, high fives, you can make a treasure box, with way to go stickers, good job treats, etc!

Have him pull up and down his own pullup, try to wipe himself and teach him to wash his hands.
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yea i would get a step stool first. if he already knows how to pee standing up then i wouldnt bother trying to teach him sitting down. as far as pooing in the toilet, i wish i could help haha. my sons been pee trained for well over a month but hates pooing. hes also the same way about not wanting to stop his activity to pee. tonight he held it and held it and held it, and ended up having an accident because he didnt want to stop playing. what i usually do, if i know hes gonna fight it, i bring up something that i know he wants to do. i will say "oooh lets go take a bathroom break so we can play with our new train" and i just hold his hand and walk him in there and he goes. now if i just pick him up and say its time to go potty he freaks. but if i dont make a big deal of the peeing part it helps. as im walking him in there im talking to him about the train or truck or whatever. so far its work best for us. GL
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• around 25 months of age, i just stopped letting dd wear diapers. i took her every 30-60 minutes and was on the lookout for signs that she had to go. i found that it helps a lot if we bring her toys in with her. i'll tell her that her ponies want to watch her go pee, or ask her if she can show the ponies how she pees. luckily, she likes pooping on the potty, so she heads to the bathroom by herself when necessary, and i just follow her lead (and bring her ponies with). she also likes reading stories in the bathroom.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 3:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2010