Is this advanced..not gifted I know but advanced?

My daughter 2 years 8 months can:
*speak in clear complete sentences w/ conversations lasting 3 or more exchanges
*count to 10 in english and 13 in spanish
*knows all letters and numbers to 10 by sight including out of order
*knows colors and shapes
*can spell her name
*is attempting to write her name and it does take the general shape of the letters though not clear, I mean she has 2 year old motor skills I guess
*she negotiates and makes trades
*she knows the names of all coins
*she is creative in reaching things that are to high, stool, stacking books, climbing. (she scares me!)
*she knows and can tell you the weather and what clothes hse needs.
*she dressed and undresses herself appropriately
*she is potty trained and has been since 18 months.
*I swear she sight read some words but I don't know for sure.
She is doing way more than my son was in pre-k but he has Aspergers so he's not a good compa

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• She sounds like she is doing great and probably well ahead of the game in some respects compared to others her age. Memorization and copying are actually thing that most kids do well.

As she gets older, you can use a table like this to watch for signs of giftedness:

http://www.cde.state.co.us/RtI/downloads/PDF/Unit4_GiftedIdentifiers.pdf

So far, I think she sounds like she is within the range of normal development for a child her age.

barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 6:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She sounds quite advances to almost gifted, but, that will be easier to see when she starts school. They will probably test her there if she is still showing signs and hasn't leveled off.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Most of that sounds in normal range. You will not know for sure til she is in school.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 6:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She does sound advanced. She can spell her name? That is awesome! If you want to really find out, I would give her ped a call and ask for a referral to a child psychologist for her to be tested :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would say so. My boys were doing about the same at her age. If she is having trouble writing her letters, I would look a the leapfrog scribble and write. My boys were 2 years and 11 months when that toy taught them how to write both upper and lower case letters in a matter of days.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my 1st born has alot of delays and was at first Autistic then changed to Aspie so anyway when my 2nd was born and excelled at everything it was like night and day. However now my oldest is 23 and is at the level of a 13 yr old and my 19 yr old is amazing and well it gets hard because of the jealousy and my oldest cries alot when she is around her 19 yr old sister ....sounds like you little one is doing just fine, enjoy it :0)
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010