My issue with the Bible and stories like Moses and the Isrealites....

I went to this play last night about the Prince of Egypt and I kept pondering why would God strike down upon the Egyptians (Red Sea) if the Pharaoh did not free his people? Why would God take lives to save others? Same with the killing of the 1st born sons (unless you put the sacrificed lamb blood on your door)... Thus the "passover".
I have a hard time with him also sacrificing his own son but mainly want your thoughts on God in the story of Moses.

I am tempted to ask the next Preacher I meet but would appreciate what Christians and Jewish people are taught about God's actions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i am not a bible scholar by any means, heck i've never even gotten through the whole thing :P But growing up as a Catholic i think we're mostly taught that God is a vengeful god and does 'mean' things in a righteous way... does that make sense? Like in regards to the story of Moses, the Egyptians were "evil" for enslaving others so God punished them. I don't necessarily agree with any of these teachings because in MY mind God is not vengeful but i know lots of religions to teach u to fear God more then anything :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 6:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We do not questions God's actions. That would be presumptious. God is NOT vengeful as the "catholic" teach. The egyptians were not people of God, meaning they did not look to Him as their Lord. Because of this, they were not under His protection. What many people do not realize is God did not do "bad" stuff to others, it is mankind when they step out of His grace. Since the egyptians were open to the horrors that were inflicted on them, they were the ones at fault for being out of the spiritual protection of God. Their choice.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think it would be a good question for you to ask an open-minded preacher about. This is my take on it, I'm not trying to preach to anyone lol. At that time, people were worshipping the Pharoah as an idle and forgetting about God. The Pharoah was letting his power get to his head, and thought that he was above God. God gave the Pharoah fair warning, and he did not heed it, so God did what He felt was necessary. God loves us enough to sacrifice His son for us because Jesus is our savior. Through Him, we receive forgiveness for our sins. Jesus only died in human form, but His spirit lives on forever in the Kingdom of Heaven. It all teaches a really humbling lesson. To put God before everything and you will be blessed. As for the taking of lives in order to save lives, I look at it as spilling the blood of the evil to save the blood of the innocent.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Very good answers ladies and also helpful. I still have a hard time as I would think and want God to love all people no matter what race or religion they were. As well as non-believers. Not being under his spiritual protection (thanks Mary) makes sense too. I personally am very conflicted with God and the bible and want to get over my "issues" before giving myself to have faith in him and the church.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Honestly I don't think he would. I know many many things in the bible are mistranslated. I believe god is loving, and kind. Not vengeful. I think that in translation there were some added over dramatizations that were added to scare the masses into conversion. It may have worked then, but now it causes many to second guess god and the bible. IMO
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It says right in  he bible that God hardened Pharaoh's heart- so the man couldn't let the people go even if he wanted to. It's like he took away his free will and used him to prove how great and powerful he is. IMO, there is nothing loving and kind about the God of the bible- but people see what they want I guess.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Okay, first off, I'm not Christian... However, I have actually done some research on this story, and believe it or not there have been remains from a high number of Chariots found in the bottom of the Red Sea... Although at this point the wood is gone and nature has taken over, so they can't be raised and dated. We don't know if these are actually the remains from this story, but with the high number of Chariots in one area shows that something happened to destroy them there - and from what has been found everything is Egyptian which leads to the belief that they were chasing after or running from something or someone as apposed to fighting with someone...

For me, it's not hard to understand why this God would choose to take the lives of another people in order to preserve the lives of his people. That's what war is all about, and from where he sat, this was war...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Ihart, that's my problem too. He hardened Pharaoh's heart and took away his ability to make the right decision, though I doubt he would - unless the plagues were really that effective.
    I want to believe God is loving and kind and I want to go to church but am having such an issue with the translation of the bible. I think as hotmama said I am second guessing it all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Now, that said, I don't believe God (any God) is all knowing or all loving or perfect. In fact I see the Gods as flawed individuals, and believe there is more than enough proof throughout the Bible to prove that the God represented there is in many ways jealous and selfish... So why would he have an issue killing other people to save his own? I don't think he would at all. Many Gods have stepped in when need be to protect their people. However, all myths, Christian or not, are based partly in reality and partly in faith. Those that wrote these stories weren't there, they don't have an eye witness account to give us, simply what they have been told. Looking for pure fact in myth is like trusting a fourth hand rumor and expecting to find pure fact... It just doesn't work that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I also suggest looking into buying a Study-Bible if you haven't already. There are footnotes that give excellent explanations to everything. I used to question everything as well before I talked to people that are really knowledgable about the Bible and other religions as well. Everything started to make sense for me and that is how I found my path. Everyone is different though, I hope that you find answers to your questions that put your mind and heart at ease.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010