How can I get my newborn to drink more formula?

My baby is two weeks today. He weighed 6 lbs 13 oz at birth. They say after they're born, its natural to lose some weight but that they should be back at their birth weight by the 2nd week of life. He weighed 6 lbs 8 oz at discharge. By the time we took him to his appointment (2 days after discharge) he had lost even more weight. The dr says he should be eating at least 2 oz of formula every 2-3 hrs. The problem is, he really just isn't hungry and will not drink the whole 2 oz. It seems no matter how long he does in between feedings all he wants is 1 oz. I've tried breast milk, liquid formula, powdered formula. No matter what he stops at 1 oz. So he just won't gain weight. All other signs are that he is in perfect health. He just doesn't have a big appetite. Should I be concerned? Any advice on how to get him to increase his intake?

StayCold

Asked by StayCold at 6:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I would be concerned... I would talk to his pediatrician about it more... he might need to have his suck evaluated by therapy. Was he early at all?? At 2 weeks he should be taking more than an oz at a time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010