How do I get my 2 week old to take more formula?

My baby is two weeks today. He weighed 6 lbs 13 oz at birth. They say after they're born, its natural to lose some weight but that they should be back at their birth weight by the 2nd week of life. He weighed 6 lbs 8 oz at discharge. By the time we took him to his appointment (2 days after discharge) he had lost even more weight. The dr says he should be eating at least 2 oz of formula every 2-3 hrs. The problem is, he really just isn't hungry and will not drink the whole 2 oz. It seems no matter how long he does in between feedings all he wants is 1 oz. I've tried breast milk, liquid formula, powdered formula. No matter what he stops at 1 oz. So he just won't gain weight. All other signs are that he is in perfect health. He just doesn't have a big appetite. Should I be concerned? Any advice on how to get him to increase his intake?

StayCold

Asked by StayCold at 6:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Are you burping him well? Once babies have a gas bubble, they won't want to eat any more. Have you tried increasing the frequency of his feedings? If he still eats an oz., that should increase his intake a little.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• feed him every hour then

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Also, check the bottle to see if he might be having a hard time sucking with it. Seriously, try it yourself and see what it feels like. It could be something simple like the nipple shape or size of the hole.

I am a firm believer that babies eat when they are hungry, so I am not sure that you can do much more than offer the formula regularly. I hope you will resist any suggestions to add something to the formula because that would only dilute it nutritionally.

It's too soon at 2 weeks to see if he is dropping in percentile. Some babies are just smaller than others and as long as the percentile holds relatively steady, you're probably just fine. Sounds like a healthy baby. Congratulations!
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 6:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Try different bottles, with softer nipples, or even a latex nipple until he gets a stronger suck. We have a new baby at church that we say is a "lazy sucker" not being mean, he just would prefer the milk just run into his mouth without having to work for it, so they use a softer nipple and have even tried the playtex drop ins the latex nipples are soft. And maybe a medium flow nipple.
    butterflymeme

Answer by butterflymeme at 6:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010