How do i get my 20 month old to try new foods?

She likes what she likes and that is it!

Mommyof312124

Asked by Mommyof312124 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A reward chart we always found was very helpful. Such as getting a sticker every time she eats a new food and then a little treat at the end of each week if the target is met.

We found that after a while it wasn't a struggle because they found other foods that they liked so there was nothing new to try anymore! Good luck!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• when you figure it out, let me know. mine lives on chicken nuggets, french fries, Goldfish, Teddy Grahams, cheese and scrambled eggs....
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just put a spoonful of what ever you want her to try on her plate. Have her try it. If she doesn't like it. Have her try it some other time. Just keep putting it out there and with time she'll try something that she likes.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010