Flies, every year at this time this occurs.

We have a large bay window in the eating area of the kitchen. It is a South-SouthEast exposure. Lots of sun. All of a sudden flies will come out of nowhere. They are only around the inside of this bay window. I hate to use spray, but I do when we go to bed. They die, I clean them up and then the next afternoon they are back. It is not any other window or area of the house. There is no food there. Outside it is deck that runs the entire rear of the house. During the day I kill them by hitting them with rolled up papers. Does anyone have any ideas what is happening. This will last about a month or longer if the heat persists. Help!!!

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When the weather's hot and dry, we get fly invasions from time to time. They like a South or West-facing window (our kitchen window is their favorite.) I just get out the flyswatter, myself. No neurotoxins, and it's kind of satisfying.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Do you have a bush under the window? We have four large bushes at the front of our house, every year when they bloom the flies are HORRIBLE!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i dont know why they are in that area but i know flies tend to like windows. we have them really bad right now in the house and i put the window fly stickers on the bottom or top corner of the window and those seem to work fairly well. you can find them at your hardware store. then you dont have to spray the window and just take off the trap when full.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No bushes. Just a 25 foot deck the entire length of the house.
    The fly stickers are they the things that unroll and I remember getting my hair stuck in them at my aunt's house?
    They were pretty gross.
    You are right, going crazy with the paper on them is kind of rewarding.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• hmmm.... the question should be... how are they getting into your house? At my back door in my herb garden, I have mint blooming. I get tons of flys on this plant...apparently they like mint. I won't cut it back yet because the honey bees love them and they are so scarce these days...yet, I never have them in my house. You need to find out how they are getting in!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Get a zip lock bag,put water in it,and hang it up.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We have a similar problem with a typw of small beetle called a box elder bug. Certain time of year they are EVERYWHERE. It's only for about a week, but during that week you have to be really careful about leaving the porch lights on and going in and out of the house. They will swarm the porch light or hang out on the front door near the light, and when you open the door to go in or out, they come in. We stopped using the porch light and it helped a lot.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• mamaofficer,
    What is the ziplock bag of water suppose to do?
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010