In your opinion, how soon is too soon to get really serious with someon?

Not a real life thing going on, just curious about your personal time frames. Even if you're already married, answer away.

Scenario: You meet the love of your life, and the feelings are mutual.

How long should you wait before moving in together/getting engaged/married/having children, etc.?

There is NO wrong answer to any of this, since it's all your opinion for yourself.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• IMO it takes about a year to REALLY get to know someone and all of their quirks, if they act differently during different seasons, what they do for different holidays, etc... My husband and I dated for about a year and a half before we got engaged and then another 5 months or so after that to get married (6 months of our dating he was deployed to Iraq or we might have got married a little sooner than that. We both knew within the first couple of months of dating that we were going to get married eventually but wanted to be really sure that we took the time to get to know each other first
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• well I do everything ass backwards so I couldnt tell ya,I guess 6 months to a year before you move in being engaged and getting married really depends on the couples relationship and having kids is also another thing that just depends on the relationship and where youre at in life I guess
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 6:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I knew 4 days after meeting my hubby that we were going to get married. Due to a previous abusive relationship, I was reluctant to move fast and I think our timeline worked for us. We dated for a year. Were engaged for 10 months. Got married and were pregnant right after our one year anniversary. We didn't move in together/sleep together until after we were married. I don't think any sooner would have been wise, and it worked for us!
    abifasc

Answer by abifasc at 6:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would have to say it depends on the person and how good the relationship is going... I mean some people move in right away and still make it in life so it really depends on the individual.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My husband an I slept together after two weeks, said "I love you" the next day, moved in together 8 months (?) later, got married 3 1/2 years after we met, had a baby when we had been together 5 years, and another two years later, and another two years later.
    I think our timing was good, but if we had been younger, we might have waited longer to have kids.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• moved in together by the 2nd month, got pregnant with the twins by the 4th month, got engaged by the 7th month, got married by the 10 month...

perfectly happy and so in love
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 6:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I moved in with my DH 2 months after we met. It was either move in with him 6 hours from home (he was already in the process of moving when we met) or end the relationship. I moved with him knowing I could have came home to my mom if I needed to. We were married about 2-3 weeks before hitting our 1 year together anniversary. Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith and try.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I guess I'm old school, I say "what's the rush"; take your time and get to know each other. I think people tend to rush into decisions during the "head-over-heels" love stage. It's understandable, since its new and exciting, and fun and you feel good. But that head over heels stage doesn't last and you are usually left finding out that you have either developed a deeper more meaningful love or you find you've found utter contempt for each other AND no place to live! I say moving in with each other should occur after you know that you won't be repacking all those boxes and purposely running over his prized possessions with your car while backing out of the driveway!
    Leener3

Answer by Leener3 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation, personally; I met my husband and felt it was love at first sight. We had 1 date and never been apart since (with the exception of our 3 month separation 3 years ago) but we've been together for 11 years. We met in October, by December we had moved in together and I was pregnant! Just depends on the situation and both parties being on the same page about how they feel for each other I think.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• met hubby in March, engaged in June, married in November and first child together the following June.... we are still together seven years later and things couldn't be better.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010