Any advice on teeth brushing?

I have an 11 month old and have been brushing his teeth since he had them. However, I worry that I'm not brushing them well enough. He closes his mouth around the toothbrush and pushes it away with his tongue, lol. Any advice on how to get a more thorough cleaning? Also, is it really important to brush all of his gums as well? I'm so worried that they aren't getting clean enough and that he'll end up with cavities. If you can't tell, I'm a first time mom, lol. Thanks! :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The advice my pedi gave me was to only do 3 seconds at a time; since babies like a routine baby won't get ancy to get the toothbrush out of his mouth because he knows that on 3 seconds he will come out. And also to encourage baby to hold the toothbrush.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i wouldnt worry too much about it mine did the same thing and i just did the best i could. now she loves to brush her teeth and could sit in the bathroom all day brushing them if i would let her. she had her first dental checkup at 4 yo and the dentist was so impressed she didnt even think she needed sealants. just do your best until he is able to brush his own teeth then he will do it all the time.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• DD is 19 months now, our usual routine is every time I go in to brush MY teeth, I take her in and sit her on the counter, give her her own brush and let her do hers at the same time. In the beginning most of what she did was just chew on it (still better than nothing). I'd tell her to watch me "see? do it like this" and demonstrate. Let her do her own thing until I'm done with mine (I usually let her continue while I take care of my contacts too), then I'll ask her for the brush and give them a good once over myself. Sure it's not as thorough as mine are getting, but certainly better than nothing. And she's been getting MUCH much better. She now mimics some of my brushing movements.

Patience and persistence. To get a little bit of brushing in, with them enjoying it is FAR more effective than say pinning them down and doing a thorough brushing. If they enjoy it now, they're more likely to do it on their own as they get older.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Letting him doing is definetly the way to go
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I give my LO a quick brush and then let him chew on it while I get him ready for bed. He LOVES it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That's a great idea, Luvmyfam. He does love to put anything in his mouth, so I bet if he was holding it, he'd have no problem biting on it, lol. I'll definitely try that next time! And Laura, thanks for the reassurance! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Give him a doll or stuffed animal and a toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010