Question for Pagans

We have all come across those who believe we have to believe "THIS WAY" in order to be Real Pagans or Real Wiccans... And who, many times, choose to bash other Pagans because they disagree with their beliefs or lifestyle.

As you all know, I'm not like this. The beauty of Paganism is it's diversity and freedom, IMO.

BUT, I'm wondering what are some of the things you have come across, what "real Pagans believe THIS" statements or beliefs have you seen or heard?

**Research question

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've really never come across the whole "believe this or that" because I chose to follow a solitary path.... and that's the beauty of it!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I've honestly only seen them online or in Bucky Books... I haven't really met anyone in real like like that - but I'm solitary as well.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have not (personally) come across any "do it this way/believe this way" bc it's right and you're wrong (IRL I am solitary)
    BUT, I read a lot online in different forums and I read/see it there...
    Some Pagans/Wiccans will say you can not possibly be a true Pagan/Wiccan.... IF you do it that way "without" this or that... or
    Wiccans are NOT true Wiccans if they DON'T follow certain traditions...
    I personally feel that the diversity of Paganism IS what makes it so special to each individual...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh and that there IS NO right or wrong way to Paganism...
    gmasboy

• I've never seen that in paganism.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Wanted to promote my site to you ladies. Hope to see some of you there!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/111656/

With the above question I agree with everyone. There is no right or wrong to Paganism. Just like life, it is what YOU make it.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Answer by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 9:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• On more than one occasion and recently on cm, a fellow pagan has stated that a 'real' Witch only practices white magick and always follows the Rede. You know, because only Wiccans can be real Witches, right? Ha! Part of me is offended but then i remember how i was when i was young in my faith and zealous and very letter of the law. then i just smile to myself:)
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 10:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i've seen some really stupid comments to that effect but don't remember anything the specific. the only thing that comes to mind that gets under my skin a little (don't ask me why i don't know) is when people post questions about what do pagans believe and many people write that pagan includes a variety of polytheistic religions. i'm pagan and there is no polytheism in my world - god is one/all....
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think the thing that I've noticed the most is the automatic assumption that if you are Pagan then you MUST be Wiccan or that if you are a witch you MUST be Wiccan. I have grown tired of explaining that they are NOT all the same thing ... that you can be a witch and not be Wiccan and vice versa.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I've been told that the only "real" Pagans are Wiccans. Seriously someone actually argued that with me one day. Another person said you can't be a Pagan and practice witchcraft because that's Wiccan and they aren't recognized as "real" Pagans. A friend of mine who was raised Wiccan told me that you couldn't be Pagan if you acknowledged the Christian pantheon. I've heard a lot, but those are the ones that come to mind right away.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2010