Those who practice witchcraft...

Do the negative stereotypes bother you? Like the assumption that all witchcraft is evil or has to do with the devil? I was shocked yesterday. I got a book from the library about different religions, and while there was only a small paragraph about witchcraft, it said that witchcraft was the practice of evil magic in order to harm others. I was surprised to see this in a textbook of sorts. I know that witchcraft can be used for good or bad, and it mentioned nothing BUT the bad. Anyways, I've thought about it since for some reason, so I wanted your opinions.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't bother me because I don't wear my spirituality like a neon sign. I think it is silly to advertise something that is so immensely personal. 99% of people don't have a clue that I'm Pagan, and unless they ask- I won't tell. I also think that a book is the extension of the person writing it, therefore is just that persons/groups opinion. The proof is in the pudding- how many Magick Users groups (Wiccan, Pagan, Witch, Druid, etc) blow up buildings or airplanes, drown the village healer for doing her job, commit genocide, or marry off their 12 year old daughters to the highest bidder. Don't get me wrong- there are kooky witches, just as there are kooky everything else. We are just feared because we have imaginations and believe almost anything is possible. But as far as using magick for bad- a true witch knows that any negative energy that is sent forth, will come back at least three fold. It's not worth it to be bad.
    CarrieGemenon19

Answer by CarrieGemenon19 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• In many ways it does bother me, but this is why I use it. I think people have been conditioned to believe that witches are evil and that witchcraft is demonic, and that it's up to those of us who know better to prove these beliefs wrong and educate people on the truth... I hate the green skinned wart covered evil witch that's shown in cartoons whatnot. And to be honest I do by best to keep these things from my kids. I have actually had people offer to pray for my soul or offer to take my kids to church because they found out I'm a witch. And it's very disturbing and insulting for me that people honestly believe I would choose to follow a path based on evil or evil beliefs or that I would ever do anything to hurt my loved ones or children... But again, this is why it's up to those who know the truth to educate others...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I ignore them. Most of my books, and I have quite a few, are published by Llewellyn Publishing and they treat their authors well and represent many a religion in a good light. You can find more and more books at the library but they tend to be filed in weird places. When you go into Borders and look in the Metaphysical department it is a shining light for some of us....all my favorite authors are there and wealth of information....not a nasty word to be found. The thing to remember is "evil" and the "devil" are not part of our belief system...that is someone elses. I have chosen to embrace the Witch in me. I am a solitary broom rider and am very proud of that. I have a great sense of humor and find great peace in it. Tick me off, and the eye of newt is coming out.... ROFLMAO....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think the term "witchcraft" has always been associated with evil doing, just like the term witch. I have looked at some actual Wiccan books, and have a book of spells. now by spells lol it isnt a book filled with Add one cup frog legs and 2 eye of newt, lol its more about the elements and candles, and blessings.If I were wiccan I would be offended if there were actual textbooks that accussed EVERYTHING having to do with it to be evil. its just not true.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I used to practice witchcraft and I didn't think much of it. I knew that sometimes it was used for good and sometimes for evil. Depends on the person doing it and their intentions. I knew the negative stuff didn't always apply to me, so I wasn't worried about it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• But as far as using magick for bad- a true witch knows that any negative energy that is sent forth, will come back at least three fold. It's not worth it to be bad.

So true! I was young and irresponsible and while I was fully aware of the consequences, my emotions got the best of me. I'm STILL suffering for something I did when I was in highschool lol. Totally not worth it, and that is a big part of why I stopped practicing it. I realized I was doing something that I didn't fully understand or know how to appreciate, and it scared me. So I went through years and years of making horrible decisions and being confused and questioning faith altogether. Until I studied more into Christianity and found that it is the right path for me. I would like to clarify ahead of time that I am NOT in any way, shape, or form saying that anyone else should do this or trying to push Christianity on anyone, it is just what feels right for me.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Lol bearsJen, so true. I think it has to do with the typical Hollywood version of a witch. For example, Wizard of Oz (thought there is a good witch as well), lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, the mataphysical philosophy section is where I've found the good ones. I've read a few books by Starhawk and when I was first looking for them, they were nearly impossible to find. While they aren't reference books, they still weren't with the other religious fiction.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with sabrina.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No, doesnt bother me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2010