First time baby for me, second for my SO. His mother says her family does not want to give gifts...

His mother has been petitioning to his family to hold a mini baby shower for me. It is my first baby and as I mentioned, his second. Apparently, his extended family is not keen on a baby shower because he already had one with his ex wife.

I am not offended or upset. I am just wondering if this is common practice?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• What???? New Baby!! New Welcome!!
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• its ur first u should be able to get gifts from his family, i am sure his ex took the things she got from her baby shower!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• it doesnt matter if ur husband already had one, this is a new baby and should be celebrated and i think thats really rude of his family to say. some people even have more than one shower for themselves like for a second pregnancy, especially if its a different gender the second time around. if they dont want to buy gifts they should at least come to the party and celebrate the baby
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I would be offended, how much baby stuff do you have? if this is your first - usually the shower is to help the new mother accumulate necessary items.
    Seriously, why would they not want to give their grand baby a gift? Or help you out.
    and maybe you don’t need anybody to buy you gifts, but a baby shower is not all about "getting presents" it's about celebrating the new life. Geeze - it's your babies original Birthday coming up here - the rest are just celebrated but we get or give gifts then!
    Wow- Sorry - I'm just surprised and offended for you.
    Come to think of it, I'm getting married next year - I've never been married - but my DF has, do you think it's inappropriate for us to have a wedding? I mean after all - DF has already had one :P
    pft!
    Julie.S

Answer by Julie.S at 1:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I know I made this a little confusing. His parents and brother are all about a little shower. The rest of his family is not.

You are all right, I have almost nothing for baby as his ex kept everything.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• that's rude, but i wouldn't dwell on it. there are bigger things in life to worry about.
    babymakr

Answer by babymakr at 2:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No, every baby gets his/her own shower.
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008