for anyone who knows anything about guinea pigs...

why is my guinea pig pooping so much? its normal looking poo but i swear there is a poo for every pellit he eats. Am i feeding him too much? I don't see how people in pet stores can keep the cages looking nice and neet..i have to pick his poo pellits like twice a day out of his cage..and there are about 20 each time. Is this normal? I only feed his a tablespoon of the food in the morning and 2 oranges (slices)..then the same in the evening...maybe a pinch of cabbage mix here and there. with his timothy hay.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pets

• It sounds normal. I switched to fleece in my cage and it makes it much easier to clean. I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper and than top that with a few towels. After that I put their fleece on top and use clips to hold it in place. I just vacuum it once a day and change it out (tossing the paper washing the rest) once a week. I have two that are poopers and it stays pretty clean. I love it I use to use the paper bedding and wood chips and all that and I will never go back. This is so much easier to clean and if you use a dark color with a funny pattern it does not show the poop so much. My cavies love it too! I have never seen so much popcorning.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• They poop a lot no matter what.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• they will poop alot..... sorry lol. that sounds like a normal amount. at least their poop is little ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• What are you feeding him? Mine poop and you know I have a lot of pigs but it's not excessive. The citrus and cabbage may be giving him poops. What type of pellets are you using?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I buy the 10 lb bag at Wal Mart. It sounds like his diet is okay. He's probably just a pooper. I used to have one that pooped all over the place within 5 minutes of putting him on the floor. How big is his cage? What are you using to line it?

You know, two years ago my life was normal. I was not a guinea pig subject matter expert!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It sounds like he's just a pooper. We've never tried the corn kernels because our cage is so big so we buy the aspen shavings. That's a good size cage for one pig.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• its called Bonanza..its a guinea pig diet. its just mixed stuff..looks like corn..some other stuff
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• we've tried different things to line the cage..we were using the shredded paper but it was so expensive..then we've been buying the corn kernels..its cheap. his cage is a decent size..i think its like 18 x 32 in. i would like a bigger one though. We let him run around the house often
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They are poop machines. It really is amazing how much can come out of them. My two managed to fill a hall corner with poop during the time it took me to scrub out their cage last night! As long as it's not soft, I wouldn't worry too much about it. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010