possibly the weirdest cleaning Q ever asked on here

cat urine in a BATHTUB. Water, dish soap, and 409 have helped quite alot but you can totally still smell it.

I've been in the hospital for a week and they didn't wanna release me til a little wheelchair ramp was installed. A medical company was here for 5 hours today and my well meaning DH locked kitty in the tub while they worked on the logistics & install together. Now I am home and kitty apparently does NOT have a 5 hour bladder. I am annoyed/sickened whenever I waddle into the bathroom now and smell it. Advice please? Considering bleach, like soaking it overnight maybe?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• NO BLEACH! Cat pee contains a lot of ammonia. You'll poison yourself!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• have you tried vinegar or baking soda?
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with the vinegar and baking soda answer... since urine has ammonia in it... those should help neutralize the odor
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not a weird question for me. Our cat gets put in the bathroom at night and has decided to pee in the bathtub... EVERY night soooo... I use scented Pinesol, I like Lavender, and clean it with a sponge mop which I only use just for that tub.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have a cat that used to pee in the bathtub all the time if the litter box wasn't to her liking... I second (or third) the suggestion of PineSol.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• have you tried bleach or scrubbing bubbles? Scrubbing bubbles works great
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Bleach will probably do the trick. But like shanlaree said, pinesol will probably help with the smell a bit too. GL, my cat pooped in the bathtub before, right in the drain, because we accidentally closed her in the bathroom overnight. It was horrible, lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• scrubbing bubbles..might work or pine sol..for the smell
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would rinse the tub out. Scrub it with baking soda and let it sit for a spell. Rinse it with vinegar. If, after that it still smells ~ then bleach it.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I regularly soak my litterboxes in hot water and bleach overnight, and there is zero pee smell by morning. And that's a somewhat porous plastic litterbox so I imagine that would work for a porcelain tub.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010