did i do wrong telling my son the truth? was what i said okay?? idk..

my son looked me dead in the eye and asked me if santa clause was real...i wanted to lie but i just couldnt..he is fixing to be 6... This is what i told him..just so it wouldnt break his heart completely. Do you think i did okay or do you think i shouldve lied? I told him that Santa was real a long time ago and that there was once a town that was very poor and he delivered presents to all those poor kids and that we like to remember what a nice thing he did for those kids every christmas by celebrating him. He asked me how come he can feel santa..and i told him everyone can because its called "christmas spirit"..lol..i told him he loved christmas so much that his spririt is in the air that day spreading cheer. I told him that parents like to remember him by buying gifts for their kids. He seemed to be okay with the idea. I warned him to not tell any other kids because it might upset them. Did i do okay??

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• A very nice answer. My youngest daughter believed in Santa for so long that I finally had to tell her he wasn't real. I didn't want her to be embarrassed at school or in front of her friends!
    sandif

Answer by sandif at 6:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you did fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You did great. An excellent explanation for when a child asks. I'll have to remembeer it for when my girl asks. Good job :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have never found a reason to lie to a child. You did the right thing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you did great!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Good job, Mom!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you did! I love your explanation...better than having your 11 year old son tell your 7 year old plain and simple that "santa is not real...Mom and dad buy all the gifts, they hide them in their room, duh!!!!", that's what happened to us by the way.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you did just fine. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You did a great job!
    Angelabella

Answer by Angelabella at 6:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• nice job!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010