What is Paganism? Have you ever met a Pagan?

I know I sound ignorant but I've never met a pagan in my life or anyone that claims to be. I've know Christians, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists and Shintoists while in Japan but never met a single Pagan. I've not even a clue what is it. So explain if there's any pagan mommas out there!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 6:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would bet money that you've met a Pagan and simply didn't know it. lol! There are more of us that you think! But, I, as a Pagan, know quite a few.

Now, to the "what is" question. That's hard to pin down. Paganism is technically anything which isn't inspired by Abraham (Jewish, Muslim or Christian). However that umbrella tends to include beliefs such as Hinduism or Buddhism which aren't usually what people mean when they say "I'm Pagan." Usually when someone says they are Pagan, they either belong to a religious path which is a kin to or has been inspired by a Pre-Christian belief system OR they belong to a path which is largely inspired by nature. Usually they are polytheistic and have a belief is some form of reincarnation or spiritual afterlife. However, each Pagan Path or each Pagan in general has their own beliefs, traditions and understandings... It's a very individual and free belief system.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I see one in the mirror everyday! I am a Pagan, I am a Witch... not all Pagans are the same. We don't tend to wear labels, but I have a really nice hat! :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The definition is as follows... Paganism - any of various religions other than Christianity or Judaism or Islamism

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thanks Sabrina...you were quicker than me... LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010