How to deal with unruly kids!!!

I have two step-kids and a I am a guardian of another child ( family member). Just recently found out that all three of them have been stealing...two of them stole I-POD's from a couple of kids at summer camp, we took them to our local police station to confess what they had done and could only get the police to do a little scare talk with them as it was out of there jurisdiction. We need to contact the camp and the family's and see what comes out of it, they can press charges if they like or just except the return of the stolen item and apology. We only have one as one of the kids lost the other one so... most likely we are paying for it. They sneak snackes out of the house and they admitted to stealing snacks from friends houses. One of them steals clothes from her friends or borrows them and never returns them. I know they need counseling, and they are grounded, but how do I deal with them in the mean time? End of my rope!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, like I said I am not in that situation, but I can only imagine what your kids must be going through. My sister was the same way, because there was a lot of anger because of my parents divorce etc. She had a period of time where she was running away from home, doing drugs etc. I think the best apporach is to deal with this with compassion and get some professional help as well to learn how everyone can help deal with this situation. Sounds like they are really craving attention and direction. Have you ever heard of "the Love dare"? Its meant for husband and wife situation, but really most of it can work wonders for other relationship like yours. If you don't wnat to do that, maybe consider simple things like writting positive notes for each child. taking them to special places, even out for a simple ice cream or a movie.... spending LOTS of POSITIVE time with them. I hope everything starts working out for everyone!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I am stumped and that would truly drive me crazy too so I feel for you. What are the biological parents doing about this, if anything? I think sometimes when major discipline is called for, it's best when the bio parents dish it out. But I am guessing the bio-parents are not very effective, because if they were, this stuff probably would not be happening. Am I right?

Unruly kids make me nuts. I'd be at the end of my rope too!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• sounds like your doing a good job. I don't have kids that age so I don't know, but those seem like logical consequences. Also sounds like there may be a lot going on which is why they may be acting up so much. How is your relationship with them? Do they feel open and comfortable talking to you? are they getting any counseling at all?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Bio mom of my step-kids only gets phone visits as she has a history of drug abuse and hates me and hubby so....no, we don't get any positive anything from her.

The child we are guardians/ temp legal custody of does not have any contact with her bio parents they have our phone number and address but have made no contact with us or her. They only speak to her case worker...seem like the case worker sides in with them and were left in the dark about everything. No, none of them are getting any counseling yet...we are working on that soon...it is definitely needed, but if that doesn't work...I'm seriously done!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010