what do i do for dinner with a picky eater

i get my stepdaughter this weekend and i don't know what to do for dinners because she doesn't like cheese meat most veges there is only one type of bread she eats, fruits are minimal. what do i do?

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You make whatever you would otherwise make for dinner, including all food groups. She won't learn to eat foods that aren't offered. And you're not her short-order cook. She should eat the regular meals that you prepare for the family.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She won't starve over a weekend. Cook the way you normally do, and let her figure out what she wants to do about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• How old is she? My answer sort of depends on her age.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• she is 5
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• In that case I agree with the above posters, but I would probably be sure to include at least one thing I was certain she liked. She is at an age where you still might be able to change her picky ways, but she is also at an age where you don't want her visits to Daddy's house to be a complete and utter hell. So for the sake of keeping that relationship open, I'd probably be inclined to cut her the tiniest bit of slack.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd try and get her to a buffet restaurant whenever possible to get a more realistic feel on what she does/doesn't like. Perhaps her dad/bio mom/whatever is not being entirely accurate on her picky-ness or else she wont eat kraft singles so they say she hates all cheese. or wont eat rare steak so they say she hates meat.

consider some bonding time w/ her (alone if possible) at the grocery store and have her help you get stuff for an interactive meal. taco bar, build a baked potato, mini pizza's, omlette bar, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Most kids love chicken nuggets. =) GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 7:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i just want her to eat more she is barely pushing 35lbs and she is 67 percentile for height it just seems unhealthy
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I disagree w/ most of the posters. Don't be so rigid, of course she wont starve over the weekend but get some brownie points with her! Make it fun, enjoyable. Hard to do w/ an empty belly. Be the hero, be her friend. She's basically a guest so make her as comfortable as you would any guest. Make a normal meal but tweak things, have her help, be your assistant chef, suggest a fun way to eat things you know she might not like. picnic, eat with chopsticks, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• maybe her bio mom or primary caregiver is a really awful cook.... have u experimented before? start with a standard food and let her do it her way (like a taco bar, omlette bar, etc) and a baked potato bar is a fantastic one for her age group, plus potatoes are so CHEAP!!!!!! She can pick out the biggest fattest potatoes for you, scrub them, and stab them with holes from a work. once she's become invested in the potato (choosing it, putting it in the bag, handing it to the cashier, maybe bagging it herself and carrying it into the house and then prepping it) she is highly unlikely to NOT eat it, since she is so invested in the spud.... then she can be creative topping it w/ cheese, sauce, veggies, bacon, etc. ... and w/ the leftover tatos you can get her excited to eat again saying "I will make your special potatoes into hash browns for breakfast! will you be my toast master? do you want scrambled eggies too?"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010