how can i wean my 17 month old son from breastfeeding?

My son is 17 months old and still wants the breast mostly at night to fall asleep. He also wakes up during the night and will only fall back asleep if I give him the breast. He drinks milk out of a sippy cup during the day with his meals and snacks. Please give me any advice. Thank you!

JaydenBubsMommy

Asked by JaydenBubsMommy at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Awww I only wish I was still nursing my son. He stoped at 13 months and didnt even care that hardly no milk was coming out.... its just a comfort thing at this point to them. I say to let him nurse if it helps him sleep better. But I understand how you probably need a break now so maybe give him a binky instead.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I know how you feel! My DS nursed until he was 19 months old...I was exhausted. Basically, I had to send him to my mom's overnight. He kind of just weaned himself after that. Could you do something like that? Or at least have your DH go to him at night until he understands that there is no more nursing?
    RachelGuz

Answer by RachelGuz at 5:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Aww! if only my baby boy was still nursing! he stopped about 2 months ago now he's 14 months now. and he only wanted it at night too! I say why would you want to stop? specailly if it's only at night, I would keep nursing as much as far as you could. and thats just an opinion you do whats best for you. I'd just try and wean him little by little and try putting him to bed without nursing and just hold him or rock him to see if he will go to sleep that way.

Good Luck!
    Anonymous