Question for moms who support homeschooling only~Need Suggestions Please

Need suggestions for 1st time homeschooler of Pre-K. To get started what do you reccommend I do to get started in the right direction of curriculum? Should I do an online program?

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm a home school mom, this year I'm teaching Kindergarten, 2nd and 7th grades. I can honestly tell you that there isn't much difference in pre-school vs. Kindergarten material. If your daughter is 4 and you want to give her a jump start. Start her with some Kindergarten work books, They're basically the same as Pre-K, and she'll be able to move on the next year. My daughter was bored to tears with Kindergarten and it was becoming a fight to get her to do it. She loves 1st grade though. If she's 3, I think you should stick with reading stories to her and give her as money opportunities to be creative as possible. When you read to her, ask her questions as you go and make sure she understands what she's hearing, and being creative is good because if promotes thinking skills that will help get her ready for actual school work.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm not very educated on this subject, but many people in the Old-Fashioned/Anti-Mainstream moms group are.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• About what kind of curriculm to chose, it's really up to you, either way work's. A free web site you have to check out is www.starfall.com, your daughter will love it and you can also get free printables off there. www.abcteach.com and www.learningpage.com both offer free printables also, Good luck!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have a 6 yo ds and a 3 yo ds, both are being home educated. I don't use a curriculum for either of them. IMO a preschooler (prek) doesn't need a curriculum, just keep in mind what they need to move on to the next level of education. By this I mean, having the basic knowledge of letters, numbers, colors, and shapes to move on to kindergarten level of study. Here's a great site for a "road map" of what should be learned at each grade level: http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 3:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I was home schooled from K-12. When it comes to curriculum, find something that you are comfortable with teaching and something that your kids are interested in! I've used a lot of the different curriculums out there and there are some that are more user friendly than others! Work with your child with picking a curriculum if you choose to go that route and find something that you both like!
    mom2tasianic

Answer by mom2tasianic at 5:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008