New parents - how much sleep do you think you miss out on?

New parents miss out on 6 months' worth of sleep
It won't be a big surprise to anyone with a toddler, but researchers in the U.K. have determined exactly how much sleep new parents miss out on during the first two years of their child's life: an astonishing six months' worth. Many new moms and dads get by on less than four hours a night. There's a simple fix, though, according to research from Penn State University. Babies tend to respond to "emotional availability," meaning the children of sensitive parents begin sleeping through the night earlier. Getting angry with your wailing kid, says the study, only makes things worse.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmm my son had 14 hour a day colic and would only take 20 minute cat naps for 3 months of the 6 months of colic - not really sure you can be unemtional or unaffected by that type of crying for that long.. I am very patient and senstive emotionally but hey, we all have our limits but I guess with anything.. these researchers don't deal in ALLareas - just general
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Very interesting!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 7:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sounds reasonable...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I kind of figured that kids slept better if they had emotionally responsive parents, both of my sons sleep very well at night and have slept very well at night since they were very young. I don't mean that they don't wake up at night sometimes but they sleep soundly and when they do wake they coo rather then cry it's much more calming and I get much better rest at night. Where as friends of mine who try to do CIO on their very young children have toddlers that are still having sleep issues. I didn't know I was missing 6 months of sleep though that means that by the time DS2 is two eyars old I'll be missing a full years worth of sleep BOOO!!!! lol.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 7:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• good luck with the no sleep thing is all i have to say, but it depends on the little one as well, because my DD slept all night from day 1 and DS yeah i was lucky to get 4 hours at a time.
    mommything03

Answer by mommything03 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 21, 2010