Are you an insomniac?

What things do you do to try and fall asleep?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• No, I can fall asleep just about anytime I want. However, I have had troubles with insomnia before and I found one thing that always would put me to sleep. This is gonna sound weird, but meditating did the trick. I would lay down, completely clear my mind, and focus only on my breathing. It took practice to actually be able to clear my mind, but it's something that gets easier.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The one thing I do not do anymore is lay in bed and hope to fall asleep. I usually get up and either read a light, non-thought-provoking book or lay on the couch with all the lights off and the TV turned down low. Sometimes, I just watch the TV guide channel or community channel, or something where there is scrolling or changing messages. It is kind of hypnotic and sometimes help turn off my mind so that I can fall asleep. I also make sure that I'm all washed up and teeth are brushed and I'm ready to go to sleep well in advance of the time I normally go to bed. This way if I find that I'm sleepy I can jump right into bed and not lose the drowsiness.
    apaxton

Answer by apaxton at 8:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yep..I take an ambien CR if nothing else works, like reading or taking a bath before sleeping.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well the only difference is now I fall asleep with some milk, not warm just from the fridge. Weird, but it works for me!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 7:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• With the insomnia I had I could always get to sleep but would wake around 2 AM for 2-3 hours. I took amityriptoline for several years. But I understand that having a bedtime routine is critical to get ready for sleep. Do the same thing everynight. Have the room as dark as possible, no TV, read a little if you like that. Do not have any alcoholic beverages beforehand and, of course, no caffeine. Do not have the thermostst set too high.....have it cool. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not now, I crash sound asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. But a few years ago I had a very hard time sleeping. I just took Tylenol PM. It was a little stronger then it is now, I think they changed it a little but it still works for me if I need it. I cannot take Ambien at all. I had it once and I hallucinated that there were little people running around my bed. Have you treid Melatonin from the drug store? That also worked for me too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm not currently suffering from insomnia, but I've recently gotten over a 10 month bout of it. I had nights where I simply could not get to sleep after laying there for hours trying to relax enough. It's really only been the past week or so that I've been sleeping normally, so I don't think I'm 'cured'. I have been getting up early in the morning before the kids are up and am keeping myself busier than I have in the past. I also have began to take melatonin.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I do not really have insomnia. I have chronic pain that makes it difficult to fall asleep at night I take a gabapentin and a hydrocodone (by prescription from the doctor) and I am asleep within a half hour
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I used to be i had to take a mild sleeping pill over the counter. But my son is i have to give him a sleeping med prescribed from the doctor. Or I would just leave the tv on something boring to fall asleep.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have had insomnia since I was 15. I have tried many different prescription meds, over the counter meds, meditation everything and the one thing that works for me right now is trazadone. I also drink a glass of milk before bed and it helps. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010