I made a mistake with my daughter..

She's 5 and I'm just starting to realize I have been spoiling her. She's really demanding and she never does what I say when I say it.
I understand this is my fault, but is it too late to undo it? What's the best way to do that?

Thank you.

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 7:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• starting now, cold turkey, she has to earn EVERYTHING. from chocolate milk to new toys. anything other 5 y/o's do, she must too. dress self, make bed, etc. she'll fight you like crazy for awhile and in time love the independence and positive feedback for being and acting so mature.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• just lay down the rules and consequenses for her and stick to them! any time you give her an inch she will think it means the rules and consequenses are gone. be firm no matter how hard it is and it shouldnt take her to long to get it as long as she isnt adhd or anything like that.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You haven't made a mistake mom - it is not too late to establish controls, she is looking to you for guidance and is testing the limits.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No its not too late... it will however be REALLY hard work so be prepared. First step, decide on your rules... look around what is most imp.to you like 1. Stay where I can see you 2. Listen to adults etc.
    Then decide on consequences and here's the hardest : YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW throughEVERY SINGLE time.
    At 5, you can tell her the rules and consequences, even write them up and post them so you both remember... she IS going to test you and it usually gets worse before it gets better (kinda like labor pains, there's a real bad crest before the pain subsides)

I LOVE supernanny.... and watch it from time to time (sometimes religiously) for tips and for reminders on how to do it (b/c yes everyone slips up and forgets... esp. when its all day every day).

G.L. it is most def. NOT to late. When they are a teen... then it might be but not at 5 .... you can do it mom... be strong, be fair, BE CONSISTENT
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I dont have any experience with this but good luck! Im sure its not too late to change the behavior. It will just take a lot of work and some pretty frustrating times trying to enforce the rules.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• As far as not doing what you do, you need to use whatever her favorite thing is, sadly. a special tv show? trip to the library? bike ride? listen and do as you're told or you lose out, plain and simple. she'll get it QUICKLY as long as you can stuff tough!!! good luck :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's not too late. Stop caving in, stand firm on time outs for bad behavior, and set rules for her. Treats are earned. Not given. Unless the child is good. Screaming gets a time out. Not listening means that you don't get what you asked for and so on.

If you are consistent with her. It'll work.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's never to late and all the above poster have excellent ideas.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with tasches

Answer by older at 8:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with everyone above.......just stick with it and follow through. If you give in one time then you'll have to start all over again. And this does not make you a bad mom :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010