dead serious.....question about paps.

i have been sexually abused in the past, for many years. i have always refused paps. i see the device they use, and my hubby jokingly calls it the toture device. but silently, i always refuse. it looks very painful and i hear they like stick their entire hand in you. i know that alot of cancers can be caught that way, but they can also do blood tests to check for abnormal white blood cell counts and there are other ways.....thanks everybody. please don't judge, this is truly a scary situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Health

• They normally put a speculum in (not painful) and a pap sampling feels like a tiny little scrape. There's really nothing to it. I think you've been misinformed about what a pap test is like.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• why don't you take your dh in the room with you if you are nervous??
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That's not how paps are done. They put at most 2 fingers in to check your ovaries and the like. The speculum (metal or plastic) LOOKS bad, but it's not too horrible. It's uncomfortable, but not really painful or anything. The actual pap smear, they scrape your cervix, which feels really weird, but it's not bad, either, unless your cervix is really irritated (then it might sting a tiny bit for a second, but that's all). I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not, but I hope I cleared something up for you.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They do not put their entire hand in......someone told you that just to scare you! It's really not that bad, the speculum is closed when they insert it and then they open it after it's in......it just feels like you're stretching a little. Then they use a "cotton swab" to rub the inside of you and along the outside of your cervix. If you take deep breaths you would be fine. Why don't you try finding a gyno that you are really comfortable with, one that will show you how everything works before hand? Most of them will give you an appointment just to come in and talk first.

colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• thnks....its not nerves, its fear of pain. i have had 2 kids, but thru cesearean section. it just looks very painful really. the fact that they check your uterus and ovaries?
    valbeasley

Answer by valbeasley at 8:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I can see how it would be scary, but my Dr has never put "their entire hand in". They use a speculum and then a little thing that looks like a tiny bottle scrubbing brush to loosen the cells and then a little tiny plastic spatula thingy to collect the cells. So far I have only felt a tiny poke-like pain from it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• no, what they stick inside of you looks kind of like a duck's bill and it just holds your vagina open so that they can see your cervix. they have them in different sizes and i had a pap smear done when i was a virgin and it didn't even hurt or anything. what they use to collect the cells looks like a q tip but with a longer handle. they just swab your cervix with that and that's it. if they want to check for hpv, they will just do a second swab. they don't stick their hand inside of you. they could stick their finger in your vagina and then press on your tummy to check your ovaries and uterus, but you could always tell them not to do that. it's nothing to be afraid of. it only takes about 5 minitues from start to finish for them to collect the sample. a pap smear can catch cancer in a much earlier stage than blood screening.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The ovaries and uterus are palpated. The doc puts two fingers in the vagina and pushes on your belly with the other hand to feel the ovaries and uterus at the same time. The speculum is removed prior to that part.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Ok, Please don't be scared. It is not anything like you think. Find a Gynecologist in a busy practice. Maybe one with multiple Doctors. Go to a Female Dr. if that would make you more comfortable. My Dr. uses disposable plastic speculum's. You hardly feel it being used at all then they quickly swab inside with a thin long Q-Tip. That's it & done in seconds. That's a pap test. They may also insert two gloved fingers and press on the outside of your stomach at the same time with no pain. Simple, quick and easy. I never heard of anyone having a hand inserted at all. I think you may be more comfortable with a female Dr. so calm your fears, it is not what you think.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• In internal is done with an instrument that look scarey, but it doesn't really hurt. A pap smear you hardly feel at all. Has your husband had it done to know about all this, or is he a Dr. or D'sr. assistant. If not he shouldn't be scaring you, a pap smear is a very serious thing to have, yearly. The Dr. doesn't put his entire hand in your maybe a finger or 2 but gee. a penis goes in there doesn't it? You'll be fine, and safer and worry free with a pap a smear .Find a female Dr. too if youer really nervous.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010