Does it really matter what side you sleep on?

I'm at 13 weeks, and I've read in all the books that you need to start training your body to sleep on your left side. But I have never been able to sleep on my left side! I've tried and tried for the last few weeks to train my body to start sleeping on the left side but I always end up on my back and sometimes on my right side. It makes me feel just awful (plus makes me lose sleep!) but if it really does make a difference, then I'll keep it up.

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 1:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It actually increases blood flow and oxygen to the baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Nope!! It helps with BP and circulation and stuff like that, but if it making you uncomfortable don't do it!! sleep any way you can!!! your body will change positions if it needs to.. I'm 29wks w/#3 and still sleeping on my back and sometimes I wake up on my tummy!! Just sleep however you can, trust me you are gonna need it!! GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I doesn't really matter. Honestly.
    I'm 29 weeks and I still sleep on my back. I'm starting to pay for it with sciatic pain, but I'm still healthy and my baby is healthy as well.
    They just 'recommend' it. But then again, there's lots of stuff they 'recommend' that many women don't follow and still have perfect babies =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• When I went into preterm labor with my daughter, I was hospitalized and I was required to sleep on my left side the entire time I was there (2 days) so I'm thinking there must be something to it.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it does matter. Sleeping on your back especially can cause the baby to lay on certain blood vessels and reduce the amount of oxygen the baby gets. Sleeping on the left side also increases blood flow and helps to make sure the baby is not cutting off the supply of nutrients or oxygen. At 13 weeks I don't know how important it is but when the baby is bigger you definitely want to try to sleep on the left side if you can. You might want to try to get used to it now before it becomes very uncomfortable. Good luck!
    Danae1972

Answer by Danae1972 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• it helps lower the blood pressure, cuz if you notice when you go to the doctors when they take your blood pressure they always make you lay on your left side, but really i was told it is best to be on your side but they said as long as it is your side it doesn't matter left or right! i laid on my stomach during the beginning of my pregnancy and somehow towards the end and my daughter is perfectly healthy! they said laying on your back puts pressure on the baby but if it gets to where it can be bad somehow your body automatically maneuvers itself to one of your sides! I wouldn't feel awful plenty of women have slept in different positions than on their side and delivered healthy babies
    teen_mom_89

Answer by teen_mom_89 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• ...lowers blood pressure and helps BP. Also helps you to pass gas. I think getting a good nights sleep is more important....and caitxrawks, try putting a pillow under your knees while you sleep. It might help the sciatica. I had it pretty bad and this helped me.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I also could not get used to sleeping on my left side. I tried with both. I really did. I eventually ended up on my right side, or I propped myself up with pillows and slept sitting up. My kids are fine.
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2008