Could someone please explain to me.....?

When reviewing a post on another forum, the subject of the Big Bang vs creationism was brought up, along with the familiar phrase, you can't get something from nothing. I really fail to understand how those who believe in creationism can say that with a straight face, when they themselves will assert that their god came from nothing, because he always was, is, and will be.

But, leaving that aside for the moment, let's assume that your god is in fact an exception to the, you can't get something from nothing, argument, and did indeed create the entire universe. If you can't get something from nothing, than where did god get the materials used to create everything? If he just poofed it all into existence, than didn't everything, in fact, come from nothing?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 8:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Good Question. I believe the basis for that is that God can speak objects into existence. Though this belief takes no more faith than other theories.
    Elastigirl818

Answer by Elastigirl818 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• So it would seem....very deep question. I believe this debate will go on until the earth comes to an end. Perhaps the answer will be revealed to us on the day we meet our maker.
    apaxton

Answer by apaxton at 8:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thats a creative question that has me wondering.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 8:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Magick. I don't beleive you get some think from nothing that just doesn't make any sense. Though I do believe in magick which comes from energy. Where god came from I have no clue, but do plan on asking him, when I meet him.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I believe in Creation. I've never said you can't get something from nothing. I believe God always was and He created all that is.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• After reading hot-mama's comment... I had to post this....

This is a question that will be asked continuously and we will all again go around and around with it...
    So I am a firm believer in ...

Magick

All smiles have a Great Weekend...!

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• well you forgot the part that they believe god always existed... i guess time didn't exist until god created it or something like that. personally i'm befuddled by many many many things that creationist claim. but as my stepdad (a UU minister) likes to say... you can't teach a pig to sing and if you try you only frustrate yourself and bore the pig.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The law of cause and effect .... for every effect there is a cause. If God caused the world to exist, then He is the cause. Since He is the cause, then He is not an effect. Since He is not an effect, He requires no cause - he is self-existant. Since the world is an effect, it has a beginning. There was once no world and then, once God created it, there was a world. This is what is meant by creation "out of nothing" (Latin, ex nihilo). It does NOT mean that God took a "handful of nothing" and made something out of it as if "nothing" were something out of which he made the world. There was God and simply nothing else. Then God brought something else into existence that had not existed at that point. The only place the world "existed" before God made it was as an idea in God's mind. Just as a painter has an idea of his painting in his mind before he paints it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If he just poofed it all into existence, than didn't everything, in fact, come from nothing?

I've always thought the debate was Creation vs Evolution, and I'm having a hard time understanding what Big Bang means and which side it fits in.

God created time, the universe, everything tangible and intangible.  He created from nothing.  And if it's true that "with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (2 Pet. 3:8) then He may have used Evolution as a tool for creating.  So is that Creationism?  Or is that the Big Bang?  With a little Evolution?

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• For the record ... I think it is entirely possible that when God speaks it sounds like a .... "big bang."
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010