does anyone else have a cat who licks them all the time???

we just got this cat not that long ago and he's super affectionate. we love him alot. he likes to lick us.... i think it's gross (and it hurts!). my sons think it's hilarious. i never had a cat that liked to lick me.... it's wierd. how can i make him stop without being mean?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pets

• He's grooming you as a sign of affection. Some cats are more affectionate than others. If yours likes to show how much he loves you and how happy he is to live in your home by licking you, there is nothing you can do about it without being mean. I had one that would climb on the back of the couch and groom everyone's hair.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If it is a very young kitten, he may not have been able to nurse long enough. I think I'd place my finger over his mouth and say No in a serious voice, every time he started it. Then I'd give him extra petting when he didn't do that.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My cat tries that. Whenever she does I blow in her face. It's not hurtful, but she really doesn't like it and it makes her stop.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• lol, no he is 8 years old. we adopted him from the shelter. he's a old man to go with our old ladies. i tried blowing on him and pushing him away, but then he just moves to a different spot lol. he's so wierd
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd still go with the finger on his mouth and No, idea. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have a lot of cats. Some like to lick my face & others simply ignore me unless they are hungry. Cats have a very rough tongue,unlike dogs who have a smooth tongue. Cats groom themselves thus the need for a rough tongue to get all that loose hair off. Then of course they get hairballs & throw up all over the place. Oh they are soooooo cute. I do love them though. As to how to get them to stop licking you,it will not be easy. As you probably already know cats are very strong willed. Whenever it starts licking,push his face away & in a strong voice say no. Contrary to popular belief a cat knows your tone of voice & will learn the word no. Be consistant. It will take a while before he learns that you don't like it,but he will learn.You may have to do this many times & even push his face a little harder or put him on the floor. You don't have to be mean,just firm with a strong tone of voice. Good luck!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My crazy cats would rather wipe their wet noses on my arm... so silly... I only get kisses when they want to be brushed...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• One of my cats nibbles me, gently. Perhaps he thinks I have fleas.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010