Staying with a relative that has roaches...?

I'm going to visit my cousin and I'm bringing along my 2 year old. We are planning to stay at her home (in her guestroom) for 5 nights. I'm not sure if she has roaches or not. If I do find roaches in the room, are there any ways to keep the roaches away from my daughter and me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Travel

• No, they are sneaky things that will hitch a ride home with you if they can. Honestly, if I thought it would be a problem I would make arrangements for a hotel. You don't want to bring them back to your house!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I haven't heard of roaches getting on people, the problem is if they would get in your luggage and you'd carry them home. So you may want to keep your suitcases closed, don't use the drawers there, and shake everything out before you go inside your house upon your return.

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Nope. You are a guest in the roaches' house. I would say make sure to shake your clothes off and check your shoes. Most times, roaches stay in kitchens and bathrooms. That's been my experience with them anyway. When I lived in an apartment that had roaches, they did not go into the bedroom. You could always politely ask if there are any bugs like spiders or roaches in the rooms.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh, gosh. Not that I know of. They usually hide under light, but come out when it's dark. Omg, that makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. Honestly, if you see any, especially more than a couple, I'd just tell her you can't stay there with them. I know that sounds rude, but I personally know I could NOT sleep knowing they were crawling around. She can't really expect you to want to either!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I was joking about being a guest in the roaches' house. Since roaches have been around for billions of years and will probably outlive the human race. I was not being snarky or anything.
    Izsarejman

• no, but i would seriously spray my suitcase with raid when i got home! and wash my clothes, etc. at a laundromat...... you don't want the eggs to create a roach problem in your house
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• no i would try to stay at a hotel and just visit if its possible.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Don't do it!! You will get eggs in your belongings and have roaches in your home.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I couldn't sleep, and wouldn't want to have my baby around them. Maybe you can say the baby doesn't sleep sound or something and sleep some whwere else. But me, I'd never sleep there.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010