Do you really think that Obama is Muslim?

I was just looking at CNN and Franklin Graham almost makes it sound like President Obama is a Muslim? Really do you believe that Obama is a Muslim?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• If he is he sure is a poor example of one. He misses 4 of the 5 pillars.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• LOL EMPTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• His real father was a muslim. And I think that if you are born Muslim, you are always of Muslim faither. If you turn you back on it is considered an even bigger sin than murder, in the Muslim faith. I could be wrong, but I think that is how it goes. He supposedly choose a Christian based faith, which I think he is actually more along the lines of Black Theology. This is why he changed his name. As with any other president, like them or not, rumors and problems will always be had. They will never do right in everyone's eyes.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I do not, although I wouldn't care if he were. At most, I think he understands and appreciates the faith of his family. He seems to have a more pluralistic/tolerant worldview when it comes to religions, and even in his book (which I doubt many have read, lol) he talks about how his mother and her faith (which must have influenced him) in his book, saying "For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty, and oppression in the cloak of righteousness. This isn't to say that she provided me with no religious instruction. In her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great religions was a necessary part of any well rounded education. In our household, the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology" (page 203 Audacity of Hope) (there's more...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• NO. and as to the whole father is a muslim thing, although i'm not familiar with that, i do know that i am by jewish law (the mother carries the blood line) 100% jewish. i didn't know until a couple years ago lol... so what i'm saying is that whether or not the muslims think he is muslim, what barack obama thinks and chooses is more important in my opinion. he chose to be a christian. and i may be wrong but i find the "black theology" label a bit racist and offensive. but at the end of the day, i have not found b.o. to be a person who allows religion to dictate his politics, although there are certainly quite a few candidates and voters who somehow feel that religion dictating politics is a positive thing, which is completely beyond me...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Dang! Band geek... you better preach!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He goes on to say "On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to a church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites." But I was made to understand that such religious samplings required no sustained commitment on my part - no introspective exertion or self-flagellation." (pg204)

He then mentions his stepfather, who was "an Indonesian with a skeptical bent, a man who saw religion as not particularly useful in the practical business of making one's way in the world," and to mention his time in both Catholic and Muslim schools, saying that "In both cases, my mother was less concerned with me learning the catechism or puzzling out the meaning of the muezzin's call to evening prayer than she was whether I was properly learning my multiplication tables." (also page 204)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He then goes on (and I won't quote it, unless asked) talking about how he had felt like a stranger apart when it came to working with the Christians he used to work with, and his realization that he needed a commitment to a faith which helped to shed his skepticism and embrace the Christian church.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• lol, sorry OP, I just thought I'd let him speak for himself. ;)
    bandgeek521

• I guess that I need to get that book.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010