Do you REALLY have to wait the full six weeks before having sex after giving birth?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't have to but it is recommended to give your body time to heal. My dr always told me to wait at least until my 4 wk checkup after delivery to get the all clear from her just to make sure everything is healing properly.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't think I know anyone who has actually waited six weeks! The Doctors tell you that to give your body time to heal but it's not mandatory. I waited three and everything was fine.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I typically waited about 4 weeks, but just did it gently...lol
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 9:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You really should but I suppose it really is up to you. I'm the opposite I guess. I have never known anyone who was just that anxious to have sex less than six weeks.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well, with my first hubby was leaving for job training when I was only 3 weeks postpartum, so we didn't wait. But the second baby he had to leave for basic training the next week, so I had to wait 3 months.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Technically you don't HAVE to but we tried after 4 weeks and it hurt like H3LL so I recommend waiting and will be with this pregnancy!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• they say it is so that you are fully healed and so that you don't get an infection or an air bubble. but it is truly up to you on when you do it. i have known people to do it right in the hosp and 10 months to the day they delivered #... so it is up to you.
    mommything03

Answer by mommything03 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You should wait to fully heal but I only waited 2wks both times and yes it hurt like having sex for the first time. Do what your body feels up to.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010