Is it bad to change a cat's name?

We just got an 8 month old cat, and we want to change her name. I have a little sister Sadi, and the cats name is Sadie... I just think we could be a little more original... But I would hate to confuse the poor cat!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 9:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pets

• I think in general it's no big deal. However, we had a cat named 'Reeses" we had to give away when the grandkids came because of allergies. They new family changed her name to Sheba. She would never come unless they called "Reeses" Cats also learn voices. I called to check on her several times and left messages on the answering machine. The new Dad called me and asked me not to leave a message again. As soon as she heard my voice she was distressed and rubbing all over the machine.. Cats are snobs...but they are far from dumb.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i dont think its that big of a deal it will learn its new name in no time...lol
    MarksGurl

Answer by MarksGurl at 9:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think cats respond more to tone of voice than the actual words. I think it would be fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's OK. We changed our dogs name from PorkRice to AJ and he was 2 when we got him and he is fine.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It will learn it's name. Cats get lost and relocated often and they seem to know who they are when they get new owners. It will be okay
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Cats are more interested in being called for food than what you actually call them. It will be fine.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not that big of a deal. Just pick a name that is close to her first name. Unless she doesn't come to the name. Then pick what ever you like
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have never seen a cat respond to an actual name before, and I have had lots of cats over the years. They usually respond to "kitty kitty" in a high pitch.

Cats dont care, as long as you give them food and scratch their heads every day :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't think it would hurt anything. Our cat responds to anything said in a positive tone. We're considering changing his name. We adopted him from the shelter, and his name is "Catmando". We think it's supposed to be pronounced "Katmandu", but either way, it's a silly name for a cat!
    Lennon_Molly

Answer by Lennon_Molly at 9:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• no no big deal at all use something a little more original
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010