Birth control and Breastfeeding

Are there any birth control pills that I can take that won't affect my breastfeeding?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A low does one yes. I was on that after I had my son. Didn't harm my milk production
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• After both my pregnacies I took the "mini pill" Talk to your doctor about it. It doesn't affect supply and is perfectly safe for your breastfed baby. Good Luck!
    katieGrace

Answer by katieGrace at 9:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I had Implanon (arm implant) for three years of breastfeeding, but I had many side effects like frequent bleeding. It is safe for baby though. After that was removed (and I was still breast feeding) I was put on MicroNor pill. It has been working pretty well. Best of luck!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You could also look into the Mirena IUD. It is a low doss BC.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yep mini pill! it helped my milk!! talk to ur doc!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The "mini pill". It's a progesterone-only pill (instead of the normal progesterone+estrogen in the combo pill). The estrogen in the combo pill is what messes with supply. The mini pill is not as reliable because of the lack of estrogen; you have to remember to take it at the same time every day or it will be basically useless.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Don't talk to a doctor about it until you've spoken to a certified lactation consultant. Been there, done that and doctors are just out for money and making their life easier. I know not everyone agrees with that, but from my experience and many of my friends, it's been true. The only person that I spoke to while breastfeeding that seemed to know anything about what they were talking about was a lactation consultant. She was the one who helped me figure out that it was the Mirena (IUD/IUC) that I had gotten that caused my milk to vanish. ANY hormonal birth control can affect your milk supply, no matte how many people say it can't. It doesn't affect everyone's but it DOES affect some. You can always try it, then get something non-hormonal if your milk starts to lessen, that's up to you. I just recommend paying attention to it very closely and speaking to an LC first. They're trained for breastfeeding support, doctors aren't.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My doc recommended that I didnt start one until 6 weeks after birth so I would have a good milk establishment. She said after that any kind should be fine.
    Nattiesmom10

Answer by Nattiesmom10 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I am on Camilla. i recommend against the Mirena IUD. have had it in twice. not awesome. the pill was a problem at first- until I started taking it before bed rather than during the day- it is important to take it at the same time every day- night time is all that works for me.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Mirena has worked great for me, but I also didn't start it until my dd was 5 months old so my milk was very well established by then. Mini pill is also fine. Haven't heard anything about implanon one way or the other. And when you talk to your doc keep in mind that a low dose bc and the mini pill are different, mini pill is fine, low dose is not.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010