If you saw a baby in a hot car all alone, what would you do? If you saw a young child alone no adult around....seemed lost...what would you do?

Anyone else watching Primetime?

So many people SAY they would help but only a few did.

More people stopped for the baby, but only a handful for the children.

What do you think you would do?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I'm watching it too... these stories just break my heart, I'm not sure what I would do - unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people who use kids in scams to get $$ etc - but I think I would find it very hard not to stop to try to help the child.

As for the baby - I'd be calling 911 too, but I don't think I could break the window unless it was disgustingly hot out...
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have called the police for a baby in a hot car before and I have helped lost children several times. So when I say I would do it, I know I would because I have.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd call the cops in both cases. One for the dumb ass that left their child in the car. Another call for the lost child
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would try and open the doors honestly, get the baby out while calling the police.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 9:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I've helped lost children before. My friend and I once found a little boy in the food court (about 2 yo), standing in a pile of pee and crying. The mother just left him, out of embarrassment I guess. We found mall security and after about 20 minutes the mom came back. She didn't speak English, but I told her off in Spanish as best I could and explained to her that I easily could have kidnapped her child. As for the baby in the car, I really would call the police. I'm the kind of person that actually does take action when needed, while everyone else stands around talking about it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i think that any parent who leaves their infant alone in a hot car should be charged with abuse and attempted murder, and if the baby dies they should be charged with 1st degree murder. my answer, i'd break the damn window to get the baby out. the difference between the baby and the child is the baby WILL die in a hot car because the temp of a car on an 80 degree day rises to about 120 degrees
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• food court at the mall*
    LovingSAHMommy

• i would call 911 and tell them i am removing the infant from the car but not leaving the area as well as giving the operator the plate number. teh lost child and i would call 911 and tell the operator were i am with the child and wait for the cops, if the child is hunger or in need of thirst and there is water near by and money in my pocket i would let the operator know that i am taking the child to that place and what i am doing. adn with both i would not let the operator hung up with me until and officer arrived.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• This happened to me. I saw a baby in a car beside a second hand store. There was no way that any adult could have seen the car from the store. I called the police although I didn't stick around until they got there, I had to pick up my kids from school.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If it were an infant/child...I'd call 911, and if it appeared to be an urgent situation, I would try and break the glass or attempt a different form of access to the child!

If it were and adult that looked confused, I would ask if I could help, and if they accepted my help, call 911.

I am a former Paramedic, so I have no problem determining what is or isn't a potential medical emergency and I am familiar with Good Samaritan laws, and yet I know to stay within the scope of my training and licensing by calling the appropriate authorities. Mind you, I HAVE stopped numerous times to help those in need even after my certifications/license had expired. No one will ever fault you for calling for help or intervening as a Good Samaritan! :O)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010