Army probes soldiers skipping Christian concert? What next?

RICHMOND, Va. – The Army said Friday it was investigating a claim that dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band's concert at a Virginia military base were banished to their barracks and told to clean them up.

Fort Eustis spokesman Rick Haverinen told The Associated Press he couldn't comment on the specifics of the investigation. At the Pentagon, Army spokesman Col. Thomas Collins said the military shouldn't impose religious views on soldiers.

"If something like that were to have happened, it would be contrary to Army policy," Collins said.

Pvt. Anthony Smith said he and other soldiers felt pressured to attend the May concert while stationed at the Newport News base, home of the Army's Transportation Corps.

"My whole issue was I don't need to be preached at," Smith said in a phone interview from Phoenix.

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100820/ap_en_ot/us_christian_concert_soldiers
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think there might be more to the story. The had a concert on screen on my husband ship of some christian rock band and my husband didnt want to attend but it wasn't punished for it. Everyone that didnt want to attend just went and did their own thing. Like I said I think their might be more to the story
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If this really happened and there isnt a little bit more to the story it's wrong. Religion aside there is DEFINANTLY certain types of music I wouldnt want to be forced to listen too :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If that is true it is pathetic. They can not discipline you for refusing to attend a religious concert.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes there is more to the story---follow the link and read it.
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Here's a thought: how about the media wait until the investigation has discovered whether this happened or didn't, and what the actual truth is, and THEN they report on it and interview people and splash it all over the internet.

Media "reporting" on stuff which is only suspected is worse than back fence gossip. At least back fence gossip doesn't go much further than the back fence !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• READ THE ARTICLE! THIS IS ALL ADDRESSED.
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• DAMN!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They were there for AIT? This was a Pvt.? If he's still in tech school or at training there isn't any guaranteed free time as a rule. Even when free time is slotted an entire squad or part of one can be disciplined ~ although it isn't as strict as things are in basic.

According to the article there is a Capt. that apologized for issuing the command. Nothing about whether he was/will be disciplined ... or should be. I suspect that there is far more to this than what is contained in this one article.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well I will say it three ways since the investigation is still pending.
    1: If this is in an AIT or Tech setting Farmlady is right. You don't have "free time" its always group activities or barracks. And if you don't want to participate you stay put. You have to earn your right off base. Being fresh out of basic and the leeway to roam will get a bunch of men in trouble. You can't go from rules of hell to absolutely no rules and expect people to behave.

2: So, we are talking about a Pvt. who could have gotten mouthy and gotten everyone not attending in trouble.

or

3: We have A (one) SSgt... who made a dumb call, who was wrong, and will be reprimanded.

I do completely agree with the Army spokesman, Col. Thomas Collins.....which is why no one should be knocking the military without a full report. Just because one person MAY have done something out of line... does not mean the military condones it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2010