What can I do for a child with an upset stomach?

my son is seven and was playing all day and was fine. at around 8 he threw up...he said he that made him feel better. He threw up again about 45 mins later. again he said this made him feel better. he isn't the type of child to get sick. and he never whines or complains at all. but after each time he says the vomiting makes him feel better. he has no fever,...and his vomit has consisted of what he ate today. the last time vomited it was mostly spit. so what are some home things I can do for upset stomach?

EttaMay

Asked by EttaMay at 9:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I feel for you. So you have any chewable pepto? Sometimes this will settle down a upset tummy. I agree that it could be heat related(depending on weather) I also think something is going around, keep him hydrated is the best. Wake him to drink some water or the formentioned clear liquids. If it persists Id call the Dr. Prayers for you!!!
    Jimmielu

Answer by Jimmielu at 10:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Flat sprite, dramamine, laying still with limited head movement. Closing eyes and taking slow deep breaths. This is what we were told to do after Kyra woke up from her dental surgey last week and was nauseous. Hope he feels better.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• is he in pain anywhere? is it very hot where you are where it could be heat exhaustion? plenty of water, wash cloth on his tummy, warm bath - crackers and when he drinks water, make sure they are baby sips with 4-5 mintute breaks in between.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• ginger ale.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Ginger Ale. Here in Michigan we have Vernor's. It's the best of upset stomachs!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He said his stomach hurts "a little bit"...but that isn't a good gauge with him cuz he never complains about pain or anything. I'm just gonna stay in his room tonight and watch him. he threw up again about 20 mins ago...he just wiped his face and went back to sleep. he has had a mucus like cough for about two days. maybe his body is expelling the mucus?
    EttaMay

Comment by EttaMay (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I asked a nurse this once and she said sometimes Tums helps for an upset stomach

but you are right, it could have been his body getting rid of mucus in his stomach. Has he had sinus issues? My 11 year old does this when he has post nasal drip issues.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• thanks ladies....he threw up two more times...finally had a poop....and he seems to be resting comfortably right now. I was in momma freak out mode for a mintue there. thanks again
    EttaMay

Comment by EttaMay (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010