All woman that give/ recieve child support.

So, i have a question, my sister in law informs me that she thinks i have a court date set in Towanda PA because there was a phone call from domestic relations bla bla bla, Now, I live with my dd in NY. I thought that all child dealings were in the state and county that the child resides in.

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, not necessarily. Usually you have to go to court, to have the case moved to the county where the child lives, and generally if you go to court, the judge will move the case there because that's where any experts will be that have contact with the child. At least that's how it was for me in California
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not if you had the child in another State. Or if you divorced in another state, that's where the case is handled, unless you request a change of venue. You have to have an attorney and it has to go before a judge in order to have the case moved.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not at all. My ex lives 4 hours away, and I have to travel to HIS county of residence for hearings- It is so that local law enforcement can actually enforce the law when it is broken, its easier to pick them up where they live, than to have another state or county extradite.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• How about this, we have a court order, and child support order, and it's all in NY, he lives in PA, i live in NY w/ Lily, and we've never done dealings outside of it other than her birth and the first 6 weeks after her life.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Call legal services or contact a lawyer for a consultation, which is often free.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If everything was set in New York, then that is where All of your court hearings will be- Nothing should have changed just b/c he moved- When my kids were little my order was set in North Carolina & my Ex- Husband lived in VA.- He had to come to NC anytime something changed & he had his lawyer in NC.-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2010