is this normal?advice please!

My baby is 8 months old now. And she doesn't sleep through the night. And I'm fine with that. But she gets up more frequently now then when she was first born. Getting up every hour is really starting to wear me out. Some people have suggested letting her cry it out but I can't bring myself to do it. I just wanted to know if this was normal behavior. Or if there was anything I could do. Please help

hayliesmommy20

Asked by hayliesmommy20 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know if it's common but mine did it as well. He was weaning from the breast which made it hard. I really have no advise for you because all I did was get up and take him into the front room on the couch and laid down with him till he fell asleep, but I wish you luck. Mine eventually slept through the night about 10-11 months. Just hang on there mama.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• ya, unfortunately it is very normal. their sleep patterns take years to even out. have you tried maybe a swing or checking to see if she is too hot or too cold. i dunno. my daughter is 2 1/2 and sometimes she will go a week without getting up during the night and then next thing you know she is in a phase of coming in our bedroom like a half dozen times.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• NOrmal?? who knows, it depends on who you talk to - it was always normal for my son to wake more often during growth spurts or huge brain developments. I did end up doing CIO and don't think to bash on it unless you know my story, but... he slept through the night from 8 monhts old til 2 years old - he got a virus and now turning 3 in 3 months... he is waking 1 to 6 times a night throwing in a handful of times a night with sleeping all night long..lol!! sometimes he has night mares, sometimes just bad dreams, sometimes he just wakes up = many months my husband thought it was habit, our Ped thinks its early signs of add / anxiety and seeking comfort - we just dont' know yet so now I just play each night as it comes -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is normal if you keep going to get him. He want to sleep with you, and if you go get him every time he cries, he will constantly cry...I am all for the cry it out method. I have 3 kids, ages 7, 3, and 1, and they all slept throught the night by 6 months tops.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My pediatrician said I need to let her cry it out because she doesn't know how to self sooth. But I'm worried that something might happen.
    hayliesmommy20

Comment by hayliesmommy20 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There's a really good chance she's teething...maybe ask the doc if there is a something you could do to comfort her....maybe try some baby orajel.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's likely the major growth spurt coming up, or teething-mouth pain hurts more when lying down and low activity. When she does sleep a long stretch, 5 hours is considered a "sleep through". The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Don't do orajel. It can make teething so much worse, plus it numbs everything BUT where the pain really is. Put some in your own mouth to see what I mean (it can also burn). Medications don't work for very long and you don't want to over medicate

The best thing for teething is patience. Cold is nice like cold banana, cold cucumber spears, and mango spears. If you breastfeed many babies take comfort in it.

Don't be surprised if you find she's outgrown a favorite outfit overnight soon. And if she's learned anything new lately that will also contribute to wakings. 9 months is prime time for ALL THREE EVENTS! We cosleep so I am not that much affected by frequent wakings, though they still aren't much fun!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My twins started getting up 5 or 6 times a night around 7 or 8 months. I was nursing but they got bottles of expressed milk at night with some vitamins and a scoop of formula to give them a little extra calories since they were preemie, small and anemic. The dr said they were probably getting up more because their sleep was disrupted from hitting a few developmental milestones and then they just got used to waking up, being nursed, and snuggling with mommy! He said instead of nursing them to give them bottles of water instead. If they really needed to eat they wouldn't take the bottle. If they were just doing it for comfort they would see they weren't getting nursed and just go back to sleep! It worked great for us. The first couple nights they woke up, we gave them a bottle and they went right back to sleep after a few minutes. Then they completely quit waking up.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• give here a silky blanket. my dd has a small one that she LOVES. she won't take a paci. wouldn't ever nap. she would wake up 4-6 times a night. then i got her a silky blanket. my life has totally changed. my oldest never had a love-y (he just used pacifires). the silky blanket is amazing at how well my dd responds to it.
    hope this helps. good luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010