Do people prefer handmade crafts or store bought gifts for the holidays?

I prefer handmade gifts? What do you like. I am a stay at home mother of 2 who cant afford much so I make my own gifts for family memebers. Does anyone else do this. In my spare time I do sell my items but love to make gifts for family

rachelscrafts

Asked by rachelscrafts at 1:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I am like you in the fact that I prefer gifts from the heart. I think that items have much more meaning when they are made by someone you love.

The worst gifts are those inexpensive gifts from the Walmart gift department that say "Hey at least I got you something!"
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I totally understand. Thats why people are getting santa pillows or snowmen this year. I hope they like them! I have been busy lately making them and hope I have enough. I am have 11 santa pillows and about as many snowmen so as long as they all dont go at my craft shows then I should be ok!
    rachelscrafts

Answer by rachelscrafts at 1:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I prefer getting home-made gifts. Home-made gifts are one of a kind. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I receive a gift that someone made with their own to hands and their creativity. Plus, when I make presents for other people, I feel good about it.

In the past, I have made pomegranite jelly and/or blackberry jam, candles, mosaics, and jewelry (embroidery thread bracelets mostly). Klutz publishes a lot of "How to make your own..." books. Or, visiting a craft store...Oh, my! I can spend hours at a craft store!

Enjoy!
    NCLioness

Answer by NCLioness at 2:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yes I love handmade and I love home decorations! Anything to add to the decor of my house is great~ Without this sounding like an ad to sell my items, I do want your opinion on my items. you can see them at www.rachelscrafts.etsy.com. I think the items there do make great gifts or atleast I am hoping family will like them.
    rachelscrafts

Answer by rachelscrafts at 3:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I love to make gifts for people, I also prefer getting home-made gifts. To me it means they put more thought into the gift than just going to the store and buying something. Plus in these trying times it makes me feel better knowing they didn't break the bank buying me something I may not like and return anyway.
    2beinsnow

Answer by 2beinsnow at 4:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I could care less if it was a Christmas card, as long as I know I was thought of...my husband's family is a different story though! I'm all for homemade gifts! I think they mean more than a brand name.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'd rather have something that isn't "cutesy," whether it's hand-made or not. I don't need anymore clutter around my house!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 6:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with MommaNoonoo...I'm not really very crafty and I don't decorate a whole lot, but I love things I actually use...and homemade food is completely the way to go for me! lol. Good homemade gifts I've gotten are loaves of Amish friendship bread, cookies/candles/cakes/fudge/peanut brittle, candles, blankets, and my all time favorite are the ball jars of ingredients that make cookies or soups. I actually bought a book that has different jars you can make.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My husband and I do make home made hot chocolate and put in ball jars. People really like that too! We will be doing that as well. I have seen books before pertaining to jar recipies! I think that is a great idea too!
    rachelscrafts

Answer by rachelscrafts at 9:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ok, it seems so far that I'm the only one who feels this way but I'm just being honest (and am not trying to be ungrateful), but it really depends on the gift. If it's a really nice homemade gift (or unique or clever, etc.), then I LOVE it! But if it's a poorly made craft or something that's not my taste, I prefer store-bought. (my mil makes these cross-stitch things that I don't like because I don't like cross-stitch -- that's not my taste. And another inlaw makes these stained-glass things and I don't like stained-glass).

But one year, an inlaw made me a cake for the holidays and I LOVED it! It was homemade, from scratch, and decorated sooo nice (and tasted awesome!), so in that case, the homemade gift was great. I also like those jar gifts (w/hot chocolate for food), etc.
    Anonymous