Unnecessary spending?

I am hearing alot of moms talk about all the new clothes their kids are getting for school...I think this is a little unnecessary. If your kids need new clothes, fine, but if you are buying them just because it is tradition, isn't that a little wasteful? My kids will not be getting new clothes this year, they have plenty of nice clothes that still fit in their closet. Plus, I get nice hand-me-downs constantly....what do you think?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 10:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I couldnt agree with you more! I have two sons and we went to one store one time for a little over an hour....we just supplemented their already fine wardrobe. We live in florida so we are still summer clothes for at least another few months.
    I am so glad you brought this up. I have heard some seriously crazy stories about 6 hour long brat fests in stores for clothes. This is ridiculous!
    readytogetgoing

Answer by readytogetgoing at 1:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter isn't school age yet but I always got to go shopping for a few new clothes when I was young and I just remember it being a special and fun time with my mom since I didn't get new clothes that often. Also, it would kind of boost my confidence on the first day of school. That's just me though! I know it can get out of hand for some ppl.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 10:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sounds good, but my kids are still growing fast and needed a few things. I love second had things.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sounds great honestly! my clothes never lasted, I don't think my dd's will either.. that might be an expence that's needed for me yikes!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well.. I think for kids, its all about apperances and in new clothes they feel better, look better and especially in early grades, the targeted ones are ones coming to school with holes in the knees or something they wore last year -its stupid yes, but kids can be terrible.. I don't know, I haven't had to start this yet but I know I will toss up the same issue...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• we hardly ever buy new clothes for our kids. we get hand me downs from the their cousins that are in great shape and we get a lot of clothes from our local freecycle group. really the only time they get brand new clothes is if I see something on a clearance rack or it is a gift from family for their birthday or Christmas. my kids still young and don't know the difference between brand new and gently used. all they know is they get really neat new-to-them clothes and they are happy!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think that parents do their children a huge disservice by buying them new things and trying to keep them in the latest style.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son gets 7 pairs of pants a pair of sweats and 7 shirts they last him all years until the next year and he starts over again. I wear my clothes until they fall off my body and because we walk and run a lot new shoes for running and cross training happen every year we have no one to give us hand me downs and truly I think once my son turned 17 it was okay for us not to get seconds or hand me downs.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We both go to school He is in highschool and I am in my third year of college.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• This is my little mans first year of school. & most of his old pants didn't fit him... & there was some that did fit that had holes. Did I go a little overboard. Yes hes gotten 11 pairs of new jeans total. did I buy them all at once. NO. Ive been buying since MAY.... Do I happen to buy alot of clothes for him often, yes. Mostly on sale, & sometimes I'll see a shirt I know he'll love or has a funny saying & I get it. I dont see anything wrong with that. does he have too many clothes yes... Does he wear hand me downs, YES. Most of his clothes & shoes are hand me downs. In his whole five year life we've only gotten him two new pairs of shoes (not counting the flipflops we've gotten him).... I dont see it as being wasteful... I see it as just making sure he'll have enough...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010