How do you have fun when you are broke?

These next two weeks until Hubby gets paid are going to be the worst two we have had in quite some time as far as finances go. There are four of us and we are home together all the time. I am a Stay at Home, Homeschool Mom and my Husband got hurt and is on Disability. The kids do not go to public school so we are all together all the time and while we love it, we do need to get out of the house sometimes. My question to you is this: How do you spend time having fun without spending money?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 10:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do things outside like walks, go to parks. Indoors, play games, watch shows or movies together (with something cheap like popcorn). Really, just make the focus about being together and the activities themselves become less important.
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 10:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My family always played sports in the yard or board games inside. It was always a lot of fun. No money required, unless you don't have any sports equipment of board games. You could always borrow too.
    Or if you want to get really creative, do a scavanger hunt around your neighborhood. Divide your family into two teams and make a list of random stuff you guys have to collect within a certain time period. I did this with my friends in college...it's hilarious.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• movies, games, being in the sun, a local-walking distance- park, have a picnic at home in the yard, invite neighbors over for dinner... umm, what do you have around you or in your house.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Go for a walk/hike. Take a bike ride. Go to a park and toss a football/baseball/frisbee, kick a soccer ball around. When all else fails, we go walk around Walmart, lol!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i would go to a park and play there...... you could pack a picnic lunch. my kids love when i do that. or make a fire in the grill and make smores. lol, all my ideas revolve around food i guess ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• o and something educational and fun is to go on a nature walk since you live in the country. whoever finds the most different animals wins a prize (i would do a chocolate coin, but it depends on what your kids like the most!)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We have a lot of parks in the area and walk to those a lot. Also I try to get to playgroups and story time at the library as often as possible. Since the weather is still nice we set up the sprinkler a lot and sit on the swing while the kids play. We invite friends with kids over to play often as well.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• walks, picnics at the park, a day at the park, a hike on an easy trail (we live in MT), bug hunting (my toddlers favorite past time)
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Park, if you have tents..you could have camp out in the backyard, picnic, playgrounds,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Go to the library and read books to eachother in the kids area where your allowed to be noisey
    Make mudd pies then hose each other down
    Bon fires and make eachother smores or hotdogs, tell stories and they do not have to be scary, the silly ones are the best
    pick berries
    have a picnic in the yard where you and your husband sit outside and the kids prepare the food and bring it out to you
    paint rocks then save milk cartons, cut out the center of the milk cartons to make it look like a house with windows or a wishing well? then glue the rocks to the carton, make sure it is the cardboard type.
    find tadpoles and watch them grow then right about when they loose their tail make things for them to climb on...because when they loose the tail they turn into frogs and need to be out of water.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2010