Do you ever find it amazing when people are proud because they are doing what they should be doing?

It always amazes me when people say things like "I support my family" or "I've never been in jail" like that's a reason to be extra proud! If you do something great, something extra - great, be proud, tell the world. But announcing things like this as if the rest of the world should applaud simply because you're doing what you should be doing - umm... NO!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• hhaha.. my mil is SO Proud of her nephews because they have been clean for so long and our trying so hard... well here her 2 grown kids sit who are perfect and all she can do it bash them to shreds.. Yes, I do find it amazing.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I guess it never bothered me. We all make mistakes, and we all do things that we are supposed to do. It makes me proud that I support my family! It just feels good :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yes, my husband tells me quite frequently that he is proud that he's a good husband and doesn't beat me. i'm like ok..... should i be worried? lol i don't think that's something to brag about
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I support my family. It just seems like a personal self esteem booster, and that is the reason they are alive and doing that ...supporting their family thing. I'd rather say that than I am in trouble or I am in a deep pit for some bad reason. but yes, I know how you feel when some are just so ......''proud'', of the very thing that is what they should just >>be doing<< never mind the gloating.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You know what. I have a husband that has struggled with addiction, so I honestly can understand someone's pride in getting and staying clean, because 80% of those who get clean, don't make it a year... So admitting there is an issue and taking the steps to get clean and then staying that way, is something to be proud of... But something that the rest of us "normal" people do every day, like get up and take care of our kids, really isn't something to be proud of, you know... It's just normal life.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• good

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thumbs up. I would post a sweetpea but it doesnt load up on my computer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I can see it if the person wasn't doing it before and now they are (like supporting their family). But if it's something you do every day, then it's just routine. Not saying they don't deserve a little credit for being a good person or anything, but they don't need a daily parade for it, either. Just my opinion, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree - even if you weren't doing it before and now you are is it really something to be that proud of? As in "I used to be a deadbeat, but now I'm just an average Joe". Whenever someone would boast about something that seems normal my great gma would say "Whoopie Do for You, You, You". I hear that in my head a lot when people go on about how great they are. lol
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yeah, same reason the word "hero" is applied to every other American since 9/11. Get a grip and save it for the deserving...those who sacrifice limb or life!!!
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 12:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2010