Why are people so preoccupied with Labels?

Why are people so preoccupied with labels? I mean people worry about what brand of clothes/shoes they wear. They worry about what kind of label will be on them because of the car they drive, the house they live in, what they have, how they look and etc. Why is everyone so worried about keeping up with the Joneses? The last time I remember popularity being a contest, I was in high school. You can't take material things to heaven and there are so many other things to worry about. I just don't get it. I mean we could afford the nicer things but why when we can buy twice as much by not worrying about labels?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Amen to that sister! And I don't care what others think. I know that we live like good people should, the way God intended. That's the only judge I care about!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• because they judge other people by how they look and what they have instead of who they are. so they expect that other people will do the same to them. it's just being shallow
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yeah, I stopped worrying about labels when I was in HS also - I am far from bothered by what is best - we have a 9 year old vehilce with rust on it but.. it runs.. so why get a new one??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't think I've ever worried about labels. I might brag on my husband's Toyota Tundra, lol, but that's not why we bought the thing. I would like a nice new SUV, but that's just for me, no one else, and we can't afford one so I'm not worried about it. I guess I don't judge people buy the stuff they have and don't expect them to judge me that way. If they do, I don't really care.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm not obsessed with labels as far as defining me as a person, but I will buy a name brand if it's because of quality. I do have a nice car, not a porche or anything, but I paid cash for it, and I drove clunkers for years. I won't buy clothes from wal mart because they fall apart and I am buying them again way too soon. I have 4 pairs of $90 jeans that I wear every week for the last 5 years. When I bought wal mart jeans they faded, stitching came undone, got holes really fast etc. Put no, I will not spend $300 on purse! Sheesh!lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• well I guess it depends on what it is. some clothes are just that, labels...
    but quality plays a role too... I don't want a 1000 dollar car I can't rely on, but I don't want a 50,000 car I can't afford either.
    I buy quality salon brand hair products because I'm a stylist and I know exactly what I'm looking for, why it works, and why it's worth spending the extra money on.
    as for clothes, well I buy what looks good and what I can afford. I don't bother going to high end stores just for an outfit I can find for a quarter of the price somewhere else. BUT I don't compromise quality and looks for money either. Part of my job is to look good. I have to advertise myself if clients are going to trust me to help them look good. lol. (at a good consignment shop I can buy quality nice "label" clothes for a quarter of what they spend in the stores).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Because society is composed of mindless sheep who can't think for themselves an do whatever the mass media tells them that they should.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We have older vehicles but they run and they are paid for so why get new ones? I have to believe that it feels so much better to be debt free than to be trying to keep up with the Joneses.

PrincessBeth- I think you are exactly right.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We live in Hand Me Downs or second hand clothes. We go to Yard Sales, The Goodwill and also Once Upon a Child and etc. We always look nice but we don't have to spend a lot of money to get nice things.
    The way I look at it is that it doesn't matter if you spent $5.00 on a pair of jeans or $200.00 on them, we all put them on the same way and God made us all equal on the inside.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I guess that explains the money and looks part.. I'm not talking I want to look like a model or a stripper, lol... but as i said, I have to maintain a professional stylist image if I want people to take me seriously in my profession.

The rest: Jonases or however you spell it.. I don't care about. They are a music group for teeny boppers.. and I'm not a teenager anymore, so I really don't have any interest in keeping up with them aside from knowing who they are and their hairstyle (for obvious reasons). Aside from knowing some celebrities and their hairstyles I don't really care what they do or who they are. I do enjoy good music and a good movie, but I'm not going to plaster my walls with photos or talk about them in some dream like state. lol. Like I said leave that to the teeny boppers.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010