constipated baby...still

my ds (5 months) has been on solids for a couple weeks now as his ped. recommended and he's been doing great! but he's now constipated, today is day 3. he is really uncomfertable! what can i do to help him?! i've tried apple juice, warm bath, tummy rubs...nothings worked yet, today is day 3, no poop. it's there, i've seen it during diaper changes (sorry tmi) but he just won't push it out because it hurts...i'm going to try the prunes. today the only solids he's gotten has been pears otherwise he's only had formula and a couple onces of watered down apple juice, what else can i try?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• apple sauce , the very fine slimy baby early stage 1.

straight apple JUICE, no watering down

Try to open a bigger nipple opening, cut the cross wider, and use a sterile knife to slit opened. This was always a good one even nurses missed. It isn't good to use a flow that is not letting the baby get plenty , gently without a hard struggle drinking.

Prunes will work, just use the entire jar, 2 times per day. ( 2 jars ) and the water,>>>>>>>>> and a bigger nipple using>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(( normal formula. ))

coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh mommy.. did you try the Miralax yet I recommended?? it was the only thing that worked out of all you tried so far...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yippee....he finally pooped!
    MKsGrammie

Answer by MKsGrammie at 5:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• call his ped he could just be having trouble getting used to solids. they could give him some enema or something to soften his poo good luck
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• he is too young for miralax. My ped recommends glycerine suppositories for my dd when she has a constipation issue that juice and prunes won't fix. I use hald of the infant size one (if you can find it). Call the pediatrician first, though and see what they suggest.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• a small amound of karo syrup in a bottle of warm water works for constipation do like 1 Tabelspoon to 4 oz of water
    the clear karo syrup though
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• he's not too young for miralax.. that is when our ped along with the second and thrid opinion I was given told us to put him on it... but as always- check with your dr first :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Talk to your ped, it's normal for them to not have bowel movements when changing a diet habit. One of my son's went to once a week when we introduced formula and he was like that for about two months. Prune baby food should help, has he been eating cereal? that would add a little fiber to help push it through. Before you do too much talk to his doctor. Baby's are so sensative to things we do to them, especially when they don't need it.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• oh and don't use real milk yet, .....you're not are you? That's really bad. It won't digest/.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I once called the ambulance because she was screaming. She pooped a baseball sized terd, not kidding, and was fine by the time they got there. Syrup does help, prune juice I couldn't get her to drink, Miralax worked too, she was on it for over a year
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010