Is it just the pregancy hormones?

My mother is a hard one. She is really a tough mother and doesnt believe in depression. When I had my first I felt sad most of the time and she told me to suck it up (not so nicely). Same with my second, and now with my third I feel even worse since Im single and only a student looking for work. I know she doesnt mean to be harsh but it still hurts. I think in her way to forcing me to not be depressed is having the opposite effect. Am I just being overly sentimental? Is it just the pregnancy hormones?

ShadowXX

Asked by ShadowXX at 11:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I do know where you are coming from. I suffered from Depression starting as early as 14. My Mother was always one to tell me that Depression is in your head. If you decide you're depressed, then you are and just the same way, you can talk yourself out of it. She made me feel horrible about it. With each pregnancy came PPD. As an Adult I decided to see a counselor because I did not want my depression to affect my family. In seeing the counselor she taught me that Depression is just like a thyroid disease or any other physical disease. It is an actual chemical imbalance in your brain and it needs medicine to be corrected. I have found that the best cure for Depression is Counseling, Meds and Prayer- all together.

I would suggest talking to someone. Depression is real and no one should have to suffer just because others do not understand.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• do what you have to do to get through the pg, and don't let others even your mother ruin what a great gift you have been given. talk to someone if you have to, take meds but be carefull on what you do take (avoid if you can!!), and look to what you believe in.
    mommything03

Answer by mommything03 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It could be a combination of your mom not being supporting and your hormones as well.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2010